Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hybrid CSC vs DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Hybrid CSC vs DSLR Reply with quote

Hi !

Considering I own a Samsung NX1000 which I really like and use mostly with manual Hexanon lenses, would it be worth buying a "real" DSLR in the future when I need something more "professional" or would it be a good idea to get the NX30 ?

I mean, looking at what CSCs are capable of nowadays and considering the fact that some DSLRs cannot be used with manual lenses, what would be the biggest advantage in buying a DSLR over a top-of-the-range CSC ?

Thanks.
Jay

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon DSLR and a Pentax DSLR for serious paid work. But I use the NEX5 for almost everything else. The DSLR's are much better for certain types of photography like sports where the eyelevel finder is better than the screen. I admit I've never used an EVF so I cant compare there.

Your CSC is the better option for using old lenses, because the FFD is shorter you can use almost anything. I cant use my Rokkors or Canon FD lenses on my DSLR's without a lensed adapter. But there is no problem with my NEX

I also can use a lens turbo on my NEX effectively widening my lenses, you cant do this with a DSLR.

Why not look for an old Canon or Pentax and try them, you will pick one up for less than a hundred pounds. The Canon is fairly adaptable and the Pentax will be able to use the many M42 lenses available. Nikons are not that friendly with manual lenses so I'd avoid them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Thank you for the nice and detailed answer. I guess I'll stick with my NX1000 for the moment and see later, when I need something a bit more efficient. Compared to the photos I used to take with point and shoot cameras, it is already a giant leap forward ;o)

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Just a question to compliment the original one : is a viewfinder really necessary/better than just an LCD screen ? Is it worth getting a CSC with a viewfinder, considering the compactness of the system is therefore somewhat lost, compared to a reflex ?

Thanks a lot.
Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewfinder usually has a better ergonomics, you move less during shots. However, when manually focusing, live view can be more useful than modern, dark viewfinders (in dSLR).
If the electronic viewfinder has focus peaking too, you have the best of both (maybe: no direct experience Smile ).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexanons deserve a Sony A7 in order to give their full potential. Nikon and Canon FF cameras are not compatible.
I find too the EVF quiet practical with manual focus lenses.
The adapter hexanon Nex is one of the shortest. So the A7 seems an obvious choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

The A7 is way above my budget. I am a hobbyist and my "passion" is guitars Surprised)

So for the moment, FF is out of the question until it gets standard on most mirrorless cameras (it will at some point and prices will go down).

@ philslizzy : what second-hand Canon EOS D would you recommend ? How many shutter clicks should it have ?

Actually, I took the NX1000 + Samyang 85/1.4 out this week end and got beautiful portraits with a nice light. This lens is amazingly sharp wide open ! And it has an EOS mount, so it would fit a Canon perfectly.

Cheers.
Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Hexanons deserve a Sony A7 in order to give their full potential. Nikon and Canon FF cameras are not compatible.
I find too the EVF quiet practical with manual focus lenses.
The adapter hexanon Nex is one of the shortest. So the A7 seems an obvious choice.

Hexanons also work way nice with APS-C Cropfactor, or together with a Lens Turbo (II) based APS-C Setup.
I do use my Hexanons onto my NEX-5, A3000 and A7.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try an EOS-DSLR send me a PM. I have an EOS 10D on sale for a low price (€90, +Shp).
Or an EOS 300D for an even lower price (€50, +Shp), because the AF is defective (which is no problem for your manual lenses Wink).

They both sport only 6 MPix, but they're fine to test if you prefer a DSLR.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy showed me his Sony A6000, it is basically a NEX with a built in EVF. While not exactly as good as a DSLR it allows you to see better in bright light, compose and focus, using the focus peaking feature. And of course you can use almost any lens on it via adapters. So good in fact I'm thinking of getting rid of my DSLR and buying one.

And its small and with a built in flash.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Well, seeing what Samsung has just released with their NX1, I guess the next generation of Samsung consumer-level NX will feature the new 28 Mpx sensor.

I own an NX1000 with a 20-50 and a 50-200 (that I got almost new for 130 euros !), plus 6 adapters and a myriad of MF lenses.

The rumors have announced that an NX400 will replace the current NX300 by the beginning of 2015. This model will feature almost everything I miss on my NX1000 : EVF, tilting LCD, focus peaking, plus better focusing, tripled buffer..... On top of that, it will use the new 28 Mpx sensor.

So, I decided to stick with the NX system and for the moment I'll just be patient and wait to see what they announce by the beginning of 2015. I was also considering switching to an NX30 as it offers what I miss (EVF, tilting LCD, and focus peaking) PLUS its price should drop quickly after the release of NX1, NX400 and possible NX40. If the price drops greatly (like the price of the NX20), then I might consider this model (the buffer being a bit short is not a big problem for my use).

So, I'm sticking to NX and will see what I get as an upgrade. Probably NX400EVF as I like the compcity of this model or NX30 if the price gets under 400 euros.

Cheers.
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was considering selling my nx100 but am gonna keep her for awhile yet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good decision Jay!

Image quality wise an dSLR with an APS-C sensor doesn't give any advantage over a mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor. Advantages of the dSLR are faster AF and, for some applications or individuals, the optical viewfinder.

Persoanlly I cherish many of the advantages of an electronic viewfinder which are also there, getting a Samsung with an EVF, focus peaking and tilting LCD imo is your best upgrade path!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
good decision Jay!

Image quality wise an dSLR with an APS-C sensor doesn't give any advantage over a mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor. Advantages of the dSLR are faster AF and, for some applications or individuals, the optical viewfinder.

Persoanlly I cherish many of the advantages of an electronic viewfinder which are also there, getting a Samsung with an EVF, focus peaking and tilting LCD imo is your best upgrade path!

I really can't find any disadvantage of an EVF over an optical viewfinder.in fact - it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I used my NEX5 for a long time and got used to the screen, although it was difficult in bright sunshine. The A6000 with its EVF and screen is the best of everything, I still tend to use the screen more than the EVF, I like holding the camera low down and pressing the shutter with my thumb, for me it is a steadier way to use the camera which I developed with the NEX5. But in the sun I like the EVF, it has focus peaking. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think EVFs have a long way to go to match a good OVF.

Then again, I have a Sony a850 and it has the second biggest and brightest OVF ever fitted to a DSLR - only the a900 is bigger and only by a tiny bit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
kuuan wrote:
good decision Jay!

I really can't find any disadvantage of an EVF over an optical viewfinder.in fact - it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I used my NEX5 for a long time and got used to the screen, although it was difficult in bright sunshine. The A6000 with its EVF and screen is the best of everything, I still tend to use the screen more than the EVF, I like holding the camera low down and pressing the shutter with my thumb, for me it is a steadier way to use the camera which I developed with the NEX5. But in the sun I like the EVF, it has focus peaking. Very Happy

Pretty much I always use the EVF of my NEX5N and Ricoh GXR M, hardly ever their LCD, sometimes the one of the Sony, either tilted upards when shooting from the lap ( resp. with the camera resting on top of my camera waist bag ) or downwards shooting overhead.

One important advantage of an EVF for me, very suprisingly, hardly seems appreciated by most: That, unlike an OVF, it can be articulating! Usually I look down into the EVF that is tilted upwards to abt. 45 degrees. That not only makes for a very relaxed neck, but specially makes the camera drop to below the chin. The arms will be low enough so that I can lock the full lenghts of my arms against the sides of my trunk. In this very stable position I can handhold similar slow shutter speeds as I could with my Pentax dSLR that has IS ( inbody stabilization ), lifting up a camera at eye level, to use a fixed VF, I cannot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

OK, you have all comforted me in my decision.

I'll just have to be patient and wait till around Christmas (and probably a bit more so that prices go down a bit).

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVF wins 9 times out of 10. On APS-C it's not even a contest (EVF is way way better than any APS-C DSLR OVF), maybe it's a little more even comparison on fullframe. It's a really nice feeling to look through a big good quality OVF with various focusing aids like the cameras of old used to have (provided you have a fast lens on and it's not too dark). But even the newer autofocus film SLRs and especially the digital SLRs tend to now have smaller OVFs without any focus aids (unless you change the focusing screen) and so most of the time a good EVF is just much more useful.