Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hybrid CSC vs DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
kuuan wrote:
good decision Jay!

Image quality wise an dSLR with an APS-C sensor doesn't give any advantage over a mirrorless camera with APS-C sensor. Advantages of the dSLR are faster AF and, for some applications or individuals, the optical viewfinder.

Persoanlly I cherish many of the advantages of an electronic viewfinder which are also there, getting a Samsung with an EVF, focus peaking and tilting LCD imo is your best upgrade path!

I really can't find any disadvantage of an EVF over an optical viewfinder.in fact - it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I used my NEX5 for a long time and got used to the screen, although it was difficult in bright sunshine. The A6000 with its EVF and screen is the best of everything, I still tend to use the screen more than the EVF, I like holding the camera low down and pressing the shutter with my thumb, for me it is a steadier way to use the camera which I developed with the NEX5. But in the sun I like the EVF, it has focus peaking. Very Happy

Pretty much I always use the EVF of my NEX5N and Ricoh GXR M, hardly ever their LCD, sometimes the one of the Sony, either tilted upards when shooting from the lap ( resp. with the camera resting on top of my camera waist bag ) or downwards shooting overhead.

One important advantage of an EVF for me, very suprisingly, hardly seems appreciated by most: That, unlike an OVF, it can be articulating! Usually I look down into the EVF that is tilted upwards to abt. 45 degrees. That not only makes for a very relaxed neck, but specially makes the camera drop to below the chin. The arms will be low enough so that I can lock the full lenghts of my arms against the sides of my trunk. In this very stable position I can handhold similar slow shutter speeds as I could with my Pentax dSLR that has IS ( inbody stabilization ), lifting up a camera at eye level, to use a fixed VF, I cannot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

OK, you have all comforted me in my decision.

I'll just have to be patient and wait till around Christmas (and probably a bit more so that prices go down a bit).

Cheers
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVF wins 9 times out of 10. On APS-C it's not even a contest (EVF is way way better than any APS-C DSLR OVF), maybe it's a little more even comparison on fullframe. It's a really nice feeling to look through a big good quality OVF with various focusing aids like the cameras of old used to have (provided you have a fast lens on and it's not too dark). But even the newer autofocus film SLRs and especially the digital SLRs tend to now have smaller OVFs without any focus aids (unless you change the focusing screen) and so most of the time a good EVF is just much more useful.