Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoya HMC Wide-Auto 28mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hoya HMC Wide-Auto 28mm f2.8 Reply with quote

So if I buy this lens will I have a Tokina RMC 2.8/28?
Is it a nice one?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically yes. It is a Tokina made lens and a very competent one. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Basically yes. It is a Tokina made lens and a very competent one. Smile

Thank you.

Any other opinions or information from others? Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my opinion is no different, it's a competent lens, Tokina made, I like it. Here's my mini-review of it :
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39936812

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you very much, I will see if I can win the one for sale locally.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my experiences with Tokina RMC glass has been nothing but good!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just something irresistible for me about the Hoya HMC lenses. They are not so numerous here in the USA, but you do see them come up for sale from time to time.

I own this exact same Hoya 28, except mine is in U (i.e., m42) mount. It has the distinctive Hoya "chex" grip, as shown in uddhava's photo in the OP.

My favorite two Hoyas, also with that same unique "chex" grip, are my Hoya short zooms 25-42mm, f3.5s.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I am hoping to win is also M42.
I still have another 4 days to wait. A little bit anticlimactic. Rolling Eyes
I am glad to hear the encouraging words of other forum members.
I wonder what would be a decent price for this lens?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those Hoyas are nicely made, my favourite is 135mm f2.8, very compact and good IQ
http://forum.mflenses.com/hoya-135mm-f2-8-first-impression-t55927.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TijmenDal wrote:
All my experiences with Tokina RMC glass has been nothing but good!

So have mine except for a 25-50mm f4 zoom that had a lot of veiling flare so I got rid of it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
The one I am hoping to win is also M42.
I still have another 4 days to wait. A little bit anticlimactic. Rolling Eyes
I am glad to hear the encouraging words of other forum members.
I wonder what would be a decent price for this lens?

I cannot tell you what would be a "decent" price. I can tell you of my own experience:

In November of 2012 (no price information means beans without reference to when the transaction took place) I bought a Hoya HMC 28 in near mint shape. The buy included the lens, the proper hood, a lens cap with Hoya insignia, a rear lens cap, and a nice case with strap. The case seems to be original but there is no Hoya insignia so I'm not sure. It really is a beautiful lens, appearing new, and it has the U mount as I mentioned earlier.

Price I paid was US$26 plus an additional US$8.52 for shipping. Again, this was seventeen months ago.

I don't know if that's a "decent" price or not. I wanted that lens badly and was happy to pay what I paid for such a beautiful Hoya lens. I researched the Hoya 28 prior to purchase. It is well regarded, but equally if not more important for me was that I simply liked the lens.

Hoya lenses are all very cool. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned it a while back and if i remember right,
I bought it for less than $50 and sold it for less than $50...
Well built, nice lens but nothing spectacular....
Had to make it manual as there's no A/M switch...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one long time ago, in PK mount... there were big problem with reflexion (hood partialy resolved the problem). I sold it.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these in m42 and find I like it, seems well built, with decent image quality, I paid 30 pound for mine a few weeks ago and its fairly mint, Ive seen them go for between about 18 and 45 pounds on ebay. for the price I guess its well worth it.

Ive seen varying opinions on who actually made them, but, from what I can gather Hoya seems to be the popular guess for who made the glass.

Ive been playing with mine on a 450d and 500d which gives an equivalent focal length of 45mm approx.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one in Canon FD mount, and it's a perfectly good lens but I rarely use it, I just have other 28's in other mounts that I prefer, which doesn't make the Hoya a bad lens at all. I've got the 24 / 2.8 in Olympus OM mount as well, and the same goes for that - I rarely use it because I go to the Ensinor / Clubman / Tefnon 24's first.

I should use them both more, give them a chance against the Vivitar 28 / 2.8 that I generally use if I don't use a OEM Minolta / Canon / Takumar / Yashica or Olympus 28. From memory, I'd say the Hoya is the equal of the Vivitar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still one of the most valuable pieces in my little collection. I call it "never-made-mistake lens". When I want to be sure about shot quality I always pick this little wonder. I know there are better lenses but this one has place in my heart.. Laughing