Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoya HMC 3.5/35-105
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Hoya HMC 3.5/35-105 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoya lenses of the that era were built like tanks - at least those that I had.

I do have a very similar lens branded "Porst".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(EDIT: I moved this post to its own thread in the manual lenses forum)

SO, I punted on this lens, as I has a suspicion about Hoya's coatings producing very warm saturated colour rendering. A bit like certain types of film. It's a cinematic look that I really care about. I shot some i images this morning, in pretty harsh sunlight.

My punt is a bit of a failure, insofar that the lens has fungus o the front element (inside) and some haze (I think)

There is good, bad, and ugly:

The good: I love love love the colours:

I like nthe Bokeh as well, and it has a handy macro mode.

The bad:
It's not that sharp, although it may be bad focus technique. The lens is super heavy, and it was VERY windy:

The ugly:
I Love the colours in this (and bokeh is fine) but what the hell is this soft unsharp mess?

Is the lens that bad, or is it because the fungus/haze? Is it bad focusing? I did notice this zoom is very flare prone, and seems to choke easily on harsh highlights...

So, it's a conundrum. I may be wasting my time with it, but I intend to do some tripod/monopod shooting with it, to see if I can rule out camera shake. If that still produces iffy results I am not sure what to do, as for all I know the coating damage explains the issues.

I have a Vario-Sonnar 35-70 and 80-200, and a Nikkor 80-200 and a Nikkor pro zoom 35-70 on the way, so I am well covered with zooms, but as I said, I love the colours of these Hoya HMC lenses...

Thoughts?