Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoya HMC 24mm f/2.8 on Canon 60d - Very gloomy day
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Hoya HMC 24mm f/2.8 on Canon 60d - Very gloomy day Reply with quote

Utter gloom today, so I did push the images a bit in Lightroom. I really bought this lens for warm light moments, but hey, I like a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, very nice.

Sharing them is a very good idea. Thank you.

Good lens. Well done in CA, sharpness and contrast.

Close focus seems to be the strong point of the hoya 24.

And what version of tokina 24/2,8 is the brother of your lens?

Congratulation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Generally quite OK in my eyes.
Is there a tiny tendency to green? Or is that my display?

I think it is just the bad weather combined with a fair bit of green in some of the pics Wink
Not completely sure though.

My preferred test will be when we get nice sunny days again, especially with warm morning or evening light.

Edit: I expected performance to be decent, but I am mostly hoping the coating will render colours in a certain way. (I know I bang on about this) And for that I need different light.

Last edited by rudolfkremers on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Nice, very nice.

Sharing them is a very good idea. Thank you.

Good lens. Well done in CA, sharpness and contrast.

Close focus seems to be the strong point of the hoya 24.

And what version of tokina 24/2,8 is the brother of your lens?

Congratulation.

Thanks. I do like the close focus capability I have to say.
I have a bunch of other Hoya's to test as well so I am curious how they will compare.

The Tokina link has been made many times by others, but I personally have little knowledge about these things Smile
I am very glad to be educated though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use mine much, its a lens that doesnt excite me at all. Its not a bad lens, and your pictures are excellent. Perhaps I need to give it another chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I dont use mine much, its a lens that doesnt excite me at all. Its not a bad lens, and your pictures are excellent. Perhaps I need to give it another chance.

I am not sure yet how I feel about it. I have an excellent Nikkor 24mm, which may well be far superior.
If this one doesn't do anything special on a better day where I can test it a bit more thoroughly for artistic qualities than I may feel the same as you Wink

On the other hand, I have some hope still for a surprise, just like the Hoya zooms I tried.

Also, I find wide lenses a challenge to use well. It's very very easy to shoot boring things with it. I constantly look for angles and lines, and try to get close to things or at least get some good perspective lines going. Whenever I forget to do that really boring photos appear hahahahah.

Thanks for the very nice comment about the pictures btw. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit short of 24's, and certainly don't possess anything spectacularly good Laughing The only others I have are different versions of the Ensinor 24 / 2.8 - aka Tefnon - Clubman, which is a nice lens. I had a Japanese Carl Zeiss Jena, but that was not worthy of the heritage. And the Ensinor's are Canon FD and Pentax PK, which I don't use a lot although I do have some nice lenses in each. Just like the Hoya which is Olympus OM. I tend to grab my 17mm Tokina and then a 28mm of some sort. I really should give the 24's a blow out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24mm is a focal length i always enjoy. Especially on film bodies.

Rudolf: is your Hoya made by Tokina, do you have a pic of it?

Lloydy, the Japanese "Zeiss" lens, is it same that was sold as the Pentacon made by Sigma? I have one, it's not pleasing indeed...
Pentacon 24mm f/2.8 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea if it is Tokina made. Smile

I have no time to post new images right now, but these are from the eBay listing I got it from:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun came out a bit, although low on the horizon and pretty harsh. I went for a dogwalk with two dogs, so to say that conditions were challenging is an understatement Smile Almost all photos were rushed one handed jobs while being pulled left and right. I am amazed I actually have anything to show for my effort!

So this is what I have learned:

It's a sharp lens, and when you hit the light right there is good colour balance with little need for PP

Sometimes colours are very strong. First one is straight from the camera:

It flares very easily, and it can badly veil the image. However, as I said the light was HAAAARSH and the flare itself is very pretty. If you can tame it its cool:

But that is not always possible:

It is very very easy to veil an image too much. I guess a hood is pretty essential.
However, I really do like the character of the flare, so that could be a fun thing to master.

At some point I am going to try this lens with good light, without distractions, and attempt to get the best shots I can.
So far its pretty interesting I have to say, but I am not yet a super fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
24mm is a focal length i always enjoy. Especially on film bodies.

Rudolf: is your Hoya made by Tokina, do you have a pic of it?

Lloydy, the Japanese "Zeiss" lens, is it same that was sold as the Pentacon made by Sigma? I have one, it's not pleasing indeed...
Pentacon 24mm f/2.8 by René Maly, on Flickr

This one is most probably Sigma (almost certainly in fact).

The Hoya is probably Tokina and is actually pretty decent in my experience.