Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to stop lenses rolling around in a cabinet?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: How to stop lenses rolling around in a cabinet? Reply with quote

Ok you DIY Boys and Girls,After my recent accident with one of my favorite lenses,what solutions do you have that will stop a lens rolling in a cabinet situation?
I use on the odd occasion lens caps,rear caps or filters rings....obviously this time I did not use any of my usual solutions,I am just asking is there a better way?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PVC non slip mats like those in the link below will do. You can cut them easily to the size you need.

http://www.sperling.com.au/htmlpages/non_slip_mats.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah,Thank you an easy solution. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop playing them waltz was my first reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Stop playing them waltz was my first reaction.

It would have been "Rock and Roll", Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put them upside down or just upside and they won't roll - easy. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some boards the length of the cabinet and use a flush-mount screw to screw some el-cheapo center pinch lens caps on. Then then the lenses are affixed to a lens cap and board. I would put a small spacer (tube) over the screw between the lens cap and board so your fingers can reach the lens cap.

Alternately, get some el-cheapo PLASTIC filters and screw those on to the board. You can then simply screw your lenses into those filters. Again, using a flush-mount screw because that way there's no chance of the screw head hitting your from element.

You'd have to probably take each board out to access a lens, so having them hold three or five would be manageable. This approach falls apart, I imagine, when you get into heavy telephotos. But for standard and short teles, this ought to be a workable solution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips,I always like my lenses facing outwards towards the light. Besides I do like looking at them. Embarassed as well as using them.Thankfully I mainly have all short lenses, no long lenses so there are no issues there. I might try the non slip idea first....my long term goal is to have a proper dehumidifier cabinet for my lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use ALPA. or EXAKTA lenses with build in switch for f-stop closure and the problem is no more!
Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use ALPA. or EXAKTA lenses with build in switch for f-stop closure and the problem is no more!
Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fill the cabinet up to its limit and they'll have no space to roll Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Just fill the cabinet up to its limit and they'll have no space to roll Smile

I am trying hard. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blu-tak is perfect!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! Sugru. Make choks for the lenses out of sugru. You can put it directly on the cabinet and after it sets it will hold the lenses in place.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimpled rubber sheet on the shelves. Nothing can roll, then.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stores in earthquake country and boats have shelves with lips to prevent contents from spilling.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complicated and expensive answers.

Have you actually tried Blu-Tak yet? it woks just fine for me. Infinitely adaptable and enough in a £2 packet to do 50 lenses or more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take raw lenses, only the boiled ones roll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot melt glue gun their asses down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing The "mat" solution seems easiest,I could always borrow a nail gun and permanently fix them to the cabinet, but wheres the fun in that? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I wonder if there are better solutions. First step is to understand the problem, which, I don't. Embarassed

How in the world does a lens begin rolling around in a cabinet? and What 'accident' does a lens rolling around inside a cabinet have?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the foam stuff used to fill the gaps when using corrugated sheets for a roof or wall ?

http://onlinepolycarbonate.co.uk/epages/950000286.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000286/Products/AC40

I noticed some today on a neighbours shed roof and thought "that might be useful" Question

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vis,
The issue is, when I open the cabinet door it creates a little movement/wobble of the cabinet, and if the lens is on the edge and I have not noticed, it can fall out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cabinet is fix screwed into the wall. A kitchen bench cabinet of 60cm x 2 with full-pull-out-drawers, and they can't roll. I need some time to find one specific lens, but they stay inside.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try purchasing several used rear element caps and mount them to a piece of 1/8 plywood either with glue or a screw. Now you can just mount the lenses to the board and they will stay put. Another way would be to get some "egg crate" foam and make cutouts for each lens lying on its side. Use two thickness, one cut and the other not, which will serve as cushioning for the lens.