Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how to shim adapters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: how to shim adapters Reply with quote

Saw this link about shimming adapters for better alignment, seemed relevant here...

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/49wye9/shimming_an_adapter_for_perfect_alignment_and/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very interesting!
Thanks
Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice practical explanation thanks, Fuz.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have so many adapters I ordered a pair of electronic calipers and some shim stock. Imagine my surprise when I measured all my adapters and they were all good! None were off by more than 1/2 of 1/1000th which is smaller than the accuracy of my calipers. They're all cheap adapters so maybe I got lucky or maybe the adapter manufacturers are doing a better job. Either way I'm ready if/when I do get one that's not right.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity focus of fast wide angle lenses is affected most by wrong adapter thickness.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with cheap adapters is that the screws are barely holding the bayonet in place. My shimming attempt quickly resulted is stripped threads in the adapter base.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
or maybe the adapter manufacturers are doing a better job. Either way I'm ready if/when I do get one that's not right.

Perhaps they are also using callipers?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micrometers