Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
How to get "faster" in manual Focussing....
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: How to get "faster" in manual Focussing.... Reply with quote

So I am new to those old Lenses and MF, but it is real Fun to me playing around with them. Are there any Tips how to get faster and safer in getting Things, Objects and especially moving Objects in the right manual Focus. The E-PL2 has no "Focus Peaking" like other Cams for Example. .... (but next Year I am getting myself the Olympus OM-D E-M10, wich has the "Focus Peaking Feature"

Thanks for your Help, Tips and Ideas.

Tom


PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience focus peaking doesn't help to focus faster. I use focus peaking only when I have enough time to zoom in and fine tune the focus. To focus quicky I usually turn focus peaking off and rely on the fact that the EVF starts to flicker a tiny little bit when you find best focus. The same is true for the back LCD but to a lesser extent.


PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Miran said. I use focus peaking on my NEX 7 to get me close, then I double check focus using the image magnification function on that camera, which enlarges to 5.9x and 11x. I find this plenty sufficient. 11x is really a handful when trying to hand-hold this camera.

Also, I'd just say this: practice, practice, practice. Back in my film days, I bought plain matte ground glass focusing screens for all my cameras that would take interchangeable screens. I still follow this practice. I initially bought the plain matte screens so it would be easier to use my Sigma 600mm f/8 lens. And I had a couple others that were f/5.6 lenses and a few others that were f/4. With all of these lenses, the standard microprism/split image focusing aids no longer worked very well and had in fact become a nuisance, just getting in the way of my trying to focus and compose. I found that with a bit of practice I got quite fast with plain matte screens, which is why I still use them.

One of my techniques that you might try is rocking the lens to achieve focus. By rocking, what I mean is you turn the focusing collar in both directions from the exact point of focus, reducing the degree of turn with each rock until you settle on that precise center point. It's like what a pendulum does -- it swings back and forth until finally coming to rest at its point of equilibrium. I find this works best when lenses are wide open and not stopped down a ways because that extends the depth of field, which makes it more difficult to determine the precise point of focus. But by the same token it makes things easier as long as I'm willing to trust the DOF the lens is showing.


PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnification is only what accurate really, for example on portrait shoots I check blood lines in white part of eye, if I see it , shoot will be deadly accurate if not either lens is crap Smile or need try more to have accurate focus.


PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also It really helps that you know your lens inside and out. How sharp it is at what f stop and focal length and whether it goes past infinity etc. Which I guess all come with practice


PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Attila, I'd never thought of focusing on blood vessels in the eye. I'd always contented myself with trying to get the reflections sharp -- but I can definitely see how blood vessels would give you a better focal point, since some reflections can be diffuse.


PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I am glad I could give you a useful hint


PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Wow, Attila, I'd never thought of focusing on blood vessels in the eye. I'd always contented myself with trying to get the reflections sharp -- but I can definitely see how blood vessels would give you a better focal point, since some reflections can be diffuse.


+1 thanks for the tip,it should work for cat portraits as well. Laughing


PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Wow, Attila, I'd never thought of focusing on blood vessels in the eye. I'd always contented myself with trying to get the reflections sharp -- but I can definitely see how blood vessels would give you a better focal point, since some reflections can be diffuse.


+1 thanks for the tip,it should work for cat portraits as well. Laughing


but mo, i have heared that in Australia you are not allowed to beat your cat.....


PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
.. on portrait shoots I check blood lines in white part of eye...


Hopefully the very nice ladys You normally share with us don't have too many blood lines!
My boss, when he meets me, for that Your tip would be very helpful, but I don't shoot him.....



....not with a camera.... Rolling Eyes


PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get "faster" in manual Focussing.... Reply with quote

Tom466 wrote:
So I am new to those old Lenses and MF, but it is real Fun to me playing around with them. Are there any Tips how to get faster and safer in getting Things, Objects and especially moving Objects in the right manual Focus. The E-PL2 has no "Focus Peaking" like other Cams for Example. .... (but next Year I am getting myself the Olympus OM-D E-M10, wich has the "Focus Peaking Feature"

Thanks for your Help, Tips and Ideas.

Tom


Practice with kids & pets. Wink My friend calls this Lens Kung Fu. He practices with whooping cranes in flight & long lenses. Very Happy


PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing never would I beat my cat,she likes to sit and pose ,well make that sleep and there's my chance Wink I just have to get her to look my way.I guess that is the key as well to "quick focusing" is know your subject and take plenty of images!Thankfully digital affords us this luxury.
Not quite the blood vessel focus,taken with the G1 and Canon 100/3.5 FL