Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to do this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: How to do this? Reply with quote

Recently, in one of the fashion magazines (yeah yeah i know), i stumbled upon very interesting set of photos.
They can be viewed here: http://blog.neimanmarcus.com/press-room/the-art-of-fashion-featuring-artist-sarah-moon/

These photos are anything but sharp, in fact they look as if they were shot handheld at slow shutter speeds with well controlled camera shake or heavily modified during post-process. In any case, how would one accomplish results like this (not in post process)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an old print process error

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Looks like an old print process error

could quite possibly be. any way to replicate it in digi-world?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In PS post with some layering i guess, never tried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty it's been done by shooting a rapid sequence of shots and picking two with just enough difference so that when one is layered on at medium opacity it gives the effect seen. If you look at the one with the black and white coat. The offset isn't constant between the two images, it looks like the model was turning or had just completed a turn and the coat is swishing round with the momentum. Doing it this way would reduce the effect over the face, as the model has just about stopped, it's just the coat spinning out from the turn.

So two shots taken in rapid sequence, one layered on at about 40-60% opacity. Some of the ones with the graphic backgrounds showing the effect had me puzzled, but I think the background is also moving during the sequence. I think the yellow background with the bold black circle and stripe was being pulled from left to right as the sequence was taken.

To get the very rough effect, from an existing single image..

Duplicate the layer in PS (or GIMP).
Set the opacity of the duplicated layer to about 40-50%
Use the rectangular select to take a large part of the image on the duplicated layer (but not all, leave a gap at the edges)
Use the move tool to nudge the selection to one side by a bit
Flatten the image and crop to size (you need to trim off the bit round the edge not covered by the selection)

PS
And I did write that before finding this video which drops a hint that I'm thinking along the right lines - you can see the yellow and black background moving about 9 seconds in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about slow / rear curtain sync, with camera and/or model movement?

Though I think post processing is involved, where she masks out some of the movement, i.e. in the face.

I'd made this with slow speed sync, 1/8 sec exposure with flash

Olive by Nesster, on Flickr

Last edited by Nesster on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, pretty awful photos imho.

But then again, I find 90% of fashion photography awful. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:

To get the very rough effect, from an existing single image..

Duplicate the layer in PS (or GIMP).
Set the opacity of the duplicated layer to about 40-50%
Use the rectangular select to take a large part of the image on the duplicated layer (but not all, leave a gap at the edges)
Use the move tool to nudge the selection to one side by a bit
Flatten the image and crop to size (you need to trim off the bit round the edge not covered by the selection)

PS
And I did write that before finding this video which drops a hint that I'm thinking along the right lines - you can see the yellow and black background moving about 9 seconds in.

Hi George,

thanks for the reply. On some of the pictures, and especially on this one http://blog.neimanmarcus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/HERR_SM_3901_SEPT13PU.jpg?ecid=NMZL___XX it looks like "out of focus" or soft layer is on both sides of of center (focus area). So i think it could be composed of 3 layers (2 with mid opacity).

I also watched the video, and caught a glimpse of slight "perspective shift"? Now that i think about it, with camera capable of multiple exposure and well controlled bracketing, it can be done on a film.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I've looked at that photographer's other non-fashion shots, and she's does have some interesting work...
but whatever gets you paid. right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think they look terrible, but like Jvg said, whatever brings the money in. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jvg wrote:

Hi George,

thanks for the reply. On some of the pictures, and especially on this one http://blog.neimanmarcus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/HERR_SM_3901_SEPT13PU.jpg?ecid=NMZL___XX it looks like "out of focus" or soft layer is on both sides of of center (focus area). So i think it could be composed of 3 layers (2 with mid opacity).

I also watched the video, and caught a glimpse of slight "perspective shift"? Now that i think about it, with camera capable of multiple exposure and well controlled bracketing, it can be done on a film.

That example could be two or three images, I'm pretty sure the model has jumped up trying to keep very straight while doing so. I wonder if there's a merge mode involved that intensifies the image where the layers match?

I'm sure this is one of the techniques that a modern day Lartigue would be trying.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the effect was done with layers, as others said.
As for doing it in-camera... the only thing that would approach it (but not quite like) is to sync flash
on the second curtain, and have the model do a tiny motion during the take.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
..., and have the model do a tiny motion during the take.

That would probably give both interesting and undesirable results. (English humour).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I think the effect was done with layers, as others said.
As for doing it in-camera... the only thing that would approach it (but not quite like) is to sync flash
on the second curtain, and have the model do a tiny motion during the take.

Ok so to sum it up, here's few possibilities:

* digitally - can be done with layers with various opacity values
* simulating print error by moving photo paper or film slightly to offset the center when exposing paper to film (pardon if i used incorrect terminology)
* second curtain flash synch
* shooting the same frame with two closely placed cameras and combining both images in PP
* multiple exposure or simulated multiple exposure (open shutter + strobe)
* filter stacking??? - perhaps soft focus + diffusion filters?