Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to disassemble Kodak Signet 80 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: How to disassemble Kodak Signet 80 lens? Reply with quote

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51899457_10219142296294916_7953155946056777728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=0e932f967fa06cfe3d73d63d35c8e50e&oe=5CF13E49

Anyone know how to disassemble a Kodak Signet 35/3.5? I just bought this one, apparently NOS, but it looks like the aperture mechanism is out of time.

At 3.5 it's already stopped down a bit, and it does stop down further with each click as you close it. I don't think it's a matter of sticky blades, because they look clean, and then open immediately when turning the ring, and because the last couple of stops (19 and especially 22) don't feel right.

This photo is with the aperture ring at F3.5. This is as wide open as it will go. A forum member on DPR posted a shot of his copy of this lens wide open, and no aperture blades were visible in that case.

The screw that can be seen here, and another 180 degrees across from it, hold the focus ring to the outer ring of the breech. I have removed these two screws, and the lens body can then slide forward from the breech helicoid, but the two are still held together by a spring clip the has two tabs that fit into slots in the lens body.

Best I can tell, some sort of special tool needs to be pressed into the gap under the focus ring, to compress that spring clip and pull its tabs out of the slots.

Does this ring any bells? Any ideas how to accomplish this without some special Kodak tool?

Thanks,
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have not been able to figure out how to remove the mount from the lens. This is a bit disappointing, as the helicoid is very stiff and could certainly use some fresh grease.

On the other hand, I did accidentally fix the aperture issue. I could see that the focus ring itself could only come off the barrel from the front, so I tried to unscrew the part that sits in front of the aperture ring, and, while it didn't seem to unscrew, it did turn, and when it turned, this in turn affected the aperture stops. So, I twisted it until 3.5 is open, and at 4 I can just see a bit of aperture blade.