Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to buy a folder camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorporate the cost of CLA into your budget.

I was lucky with my Isolette; no light leaks and a shutter that fires (seemingly) acurate at all speeds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What nobody has mentioned is that because these shut up into what is pretty much a bomb-proof metal shell, many of these cameras are still in exceptional condition.

With ordinary family 1940s or 50s usage of maybe half-a-dozen films a year, it's quite possible that the bellows, shutter and lens might only have been open and exposed to the elements for a few hours in the many decades since the camera was made. If the camera was always stored in the closed position, there is no reason for the bellows and shutter to look anything other than pristine - and very often that is how they are.

Of course, time, temperature and humidity can still do damage, particularly if the initial materials were not completely stable (Agfa bellows are said to decay, possibly they contained chemically unstable plastics).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
(Agfa bellows are said to decay, possibly they contained chemically unstable plastics).

Indeed. It's quite disappointing (but not entirely unexpected) to open up an Agfa Record and see what looks like pristine bellows, still shiny and gleaming as if the camera was new yesterday. Then, when you do a lightbulb test inside the bellows, you see all the pinholes in the corners...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got replacement bellows for my Agfa Record III from Sandeha Lynch. He supplies full instructions - they fitted nicely Smile .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few folders that have got bent folding mechanisms where people have tried to close them without knowing how to use the proper release lever / button. Sometimes the damage is slight and difficult to spot, but probably very difficult to repair.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few folders including a couple of Agfa's. Most are in remarkably good condition for their age. I've not put film thru any of them yet though, preferring the 'tube' type like the Braun Paxina 29.

This is useful information. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately GAS has been tugging me in the folder direction now that I have a couple rangefinders - which I haven't used yet Smile .

Back to this thread . . .
Is there a simple listing of which folders take 120 film? I ask this even though Attila has said most do take 120 because many that I have looked at were marked inside NOT 120. This has left me a little "gun shy" - if its not marked 120 or NOT 120, if I don't know I won't take the risk.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the camera says 'not 120' it is probably 620. The 620 spool has a narrower flange, smaller winder slots and a thinner core. Designed originally to make folders thinner, and probably Kodak more money in royalties as film manufacturers and camera manufacturers would have to pay Kodak to use it.

If you can obtain a second 620 spool (assuming the camera already has one) you can re-spool your 120 film onto the spare one. I did it recently and its not as hard as I thought. Wind the film onto the new spool then wind it back onto the spare one. The end of the film is not attached to the paper so you must be careful to catch it and wind it tightly.

Alternatively there is this solution:

more details here: http://mconnealy.com/vintagecameras/120in620/

good luck!!