Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HOW? simulate white balance of jpeg in camera raw software?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: HOW? simulate white balance of jpeg in camera raw software? Reply with quote

i hope you are all getting well,

i just cant find answer to one "simple" question. You probably know that, or can point me to right direction Smile

How can i simulate white balance of jpeg in camera raw software?

when i opened RAW photo in camera raw, white balance "as shot" doesnt look so great as for raw preview in image viewer like irfanview

much appreciate

here is example, see colors around setting sun. Lower image is raw preview with image viewer like irfanview. Upper one is crop from camera raw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the white balance which is different - it's the colors.
I would not trust neither Irfanview neither Adobe to get the same processing as in camera JPEG.
Every raw converter makes the conversion different.

Your best try will be to use the manufacturer supplied raw converter: DPP for Canon, Olympus Viewer for Olympus and Image Data converter for Sony, etc. Those will give you the same processing as incamera jpegs.

Anyways if you are looking for consistent results with Adobe you are looking at purchasing a color target like X-Rite ColorChecker Passport, which you can use to create a profile for every set of pictures you are taking. Those profiles will be very different than the supplied Adobe profiles and will get the correct colors and white balance every time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, will dig more into this topic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either process the colours according to preices, objective colour temperature or according to what you saw and remember.
I always opt for the second way. Wink

(I don't shoot product photography, though.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i also trying to match colors according to my subject needs Smile but sometimes i like colors of raw preview so much that i am trying to achieve this result in camera raw adjustments, but its not so easy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One simple tip most cameras has raw+jpg setting , use it Smile I use Acdsee Pro mainly, affordable and do most things what need to me even in batch process.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sometimes i also like the colors of the Jpeg output from my Olympus pen and even trying hard to replicate it in Lightroom i cannot do it. So instead that i develop the raw files with Olympus viewer and save them as a Tiff which then i import in Lightroom for further processing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romans001 wrote:
yes, i also trying to match colors according to my subject needs Smile but sometimes i like colors of raw preview so much that i am trying to achieve this result in camera raw adjustments, but its not so easy Smile

Which camera do you use? The newer Canon DSLRs have all got the "picture styles" and with those you can achieve similar results also later in post-production.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irfanview shows the jpeg embedded inside raw DNG file. That jpeg is DNG as developed inside camera -- that jpeg should view identical to raw DNG viewed in raw editor with "As Shot" setting.

May be DNG editor has used a different color space?

Irfanview can extract the jpeg image in the raw DNG file -- choose "Save As" Wink