Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how good is Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm Macro F3.5 (Kiron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Found something on Ken Rockwell's site: http://www.kenrockwell.com/vivitar/70-210mm.htm
There is a picture of a Kiron version with VMC (still higher production number then my second: 22848888), so loud en clear announced multicoated.


Yes. Agreed. The VMC versions are the way to go . . . . and it's easy to spot 'em.

The letters "VMC", sadly, do not appear on my copy. Sad


PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these and was very pleased with the quality of the photos it produced.

I ended up selling it though because of its weight. It wasn't that it was too heavy for 'me', but I always felt that I had to hold the lens, rather than the camera, when I had it on. I was worried that the weight of it, left hanging, might damage the mounting area of my camera. Maybe that's not a realistic concern, but I couldn't shake the worry.


PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took close look at lens I have and it is coated but I guess it is single coating and not VMC... anyway I really like macro performance so far also the regular performance is good.


PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAART wrote:
I took close look at lens I have and it is coated but I guess it is single coating and not VMC.

What is the serial number of yours?
As I stated, it looks like my second copy (226xxxxx) has multicoating, however its not yet quoted in the frontring.


PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial is 22409741 as seen in picture 3 at the beginning...


PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three lens with the S/N 22151317, 22923036, and 22103223. All say VMC.


"Version 1 (1974-1978, sn 224xxxxx - 227xxxxx) - This was the initial production version of the lens. It was soon discovered that there were reliability issues which Vivitar attempted to address through a series of minor changes. These changes were undocumented even in Vivitar service publications, with one exception - an "improved helicoid assembly" was introduced starting with sn 22528001 according to the service manual. However, all changes were designed to be backwardly compatible with the version 1 design. All version 1 lenses should be more or less interchangeable from a service perspective.[6]

Version 2 (1978-1981, sn 228xxxx - 221xxxxx) - In late 1978 Vivitar attempted to solve the reliability problems by introducing a major internal redesign of the lens known as the Z71 modification. Pre 1978 and post 1978 models are no longer completely interchangeable. The Version 2 redesign also introduced several additional mounts. Because of the redesign, Vivitar's internal stock numbers for lens changed"

-camera wiki


PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
I have three lens with the S/N 22151317, 22923036, and 22103223. All say VMC.


And there goes my theory Shocked Rolling Eyes
Mine doesn't have the VMC on the frontring Sad
But it makes probably that all were multicoated?


PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My serial number is 22133770 with the VMC on the front


PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime I wish old companies would start making lens again. If Vivitar got their head out of their rear ends and started to make these lens again, but lighter with a tripod collar I'm sure they would do better than they do now.


PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
Sometime I wish old companies would start making lens again. If Vivitar got their head out of their rear ends and started to make these lens again, but lighter with a tripod collar I'm sure they would do better than they do now.

Does Vivitar have any lenses besides Samyang rebrands now?


PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
I have three lens with the S/N 22151317, 22923036, and 22103223. All say VMC.


"Version 1 (1974-1978, sn 224xxxxx - 227xxxxx) - This was the initial production version of the lens. It was soon discovered that there were reliability issues which Vivitar attempted to address through a series of minor changes. These changes were undocumented even in Vivitar service publications, with one exception - an "improved helicoid assembly" was introduced starting with sn 22528001 according to the service manual. However, all changes were designed to be backwardly compatible with the version 1 design. All version 1 lenses should be more or less interchangeable from a service perspective.[6]

Version 2 (1978-1981, sn 228xxxx - 221xxxxx) - In late 1978 Vivitar attempted to solve the reliability problems by introducing a major internal redesign of the lens known as the Z71 modification. Pre 1978 and post 1978 models are no longer completely interchangeable. The Version 2 redesign also introduced several additional mounts. Because of the redesign, Vivitar's internal stock numbers for lens changed"

-camera wiki


Your Camera Wiki reference is a wonderful reference for this lens. Thank you for posting!

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_Series_1_70-210mm_f/3.5_VMC_Macro_Focusing_Zoom


As for your three lenses, all VMC:

You have given me a severe case of "VMC envy"!! Very Happy


PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys I went out an asked a expert on Kiron lens and vivitar lens that goes by the name "boggy" about the multicoating issue of these lens.

"VMC is Vivitar Multi Coating" -boggy

The serial numbers go backwards meaning that a 224xxxxx(1974) is older than a 221xxxxx(1981) lens. With this being said he done some research and found that a "picture of a 224xxxxx (1974) lens does NOT have VMC on the front bezel. There is no mention of coatings in the 1974 Modern Photography tests." -boggy

So some time in 1974 after the first batch they started to apply the multicoating.

So if you have a lens with 224xxxxx then your lens might not have the multicoating. But this ISN'T 100% confirmed!

"I should say here that just because the lens was not marked VMC does not mean the lens does not have Multi Coating, nor does it mean the lens must have Single Coating. I'm not an optical expert but I seem to recall coating compositions may have changed over time. I do know that examples of Kiron, Vivitar and Soligor branded examples of the 105/100mm macro lens do show up as different colours." -Boggy


Last edited by Nikonshooter on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
Nikonshooter wrote:
Sometime I wish old companies would start making lens again. If Vivitar got their head out of their rear ends and started to make these lens again, but lighter with a tripod collar I'm sure they would do better than they do now.

Does Vivitar have any lenses besides Samyang rebrands now?


I'm not really sure because there website shows lens with their name on it, but those could be the same as the Samyang lens.


PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this extended discussion motivated me to go dig out my own poor copy of this lens. My lens is a fungus factory which I've been unable to clean because I cannot, as yet, disassemble it.

Anyway, my lens S/N is 22403529. Following close re-inspection of my lens, I'm more willing to accept the assertion of a fellow poster here who earlier wrote that all of these lenses are coated. It is possible my lens is coated, but if so the coating is very difficult to detect, nearly imperceptible. The presence of so much fungus does not make detection easier. I'm virtually certain my lens is not multi-coated, and of course it is not marked "VMC".

Should I ever buy another copy of this lens, rest assured it will have the "VMC" plainly marked.


PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
All this extended discussion motivated me to go dig out my own poor copy of this lens. My lens is a fungus factory which I've been unable to clean because I cannot, as yet, disassemble it.

Anyway, my lens S/N is 22403529. Following close re-inspection of my lens, I'm more willing to accept the assertion of a fellow poster here who earlier wrote that all of these lenses are coated. It is possible my lens is coated, but if so the coating is very difficult to detect, nearly imperceptible. The presence of so much fungus does not make detection easier. I'm virtually certain my lens is not multi-coated, and of course it is not marked "VMC".

Should I ever buy another copy of this lens, rest assured it will have the "VMC" plainly marked.



Here is a site with all the instructions and parts listing for taking it apart.

http://www.boggys.co.uk/page40.html


PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
guardian wrote:
All this extended discussion motivated me to go dig out my own poor copy of this lens. My lens is a fungus factory which I've been unable to clean because I cannot, as yet, disassemble it.

Anyway, my lens S/N is 22403529. Following close re-inspection of my lens, I'm more willing to accept the assertion of a fellow poster here who earlier wrote that all of these lenses are coated. It is possible my lens is coated, but if so the coating is very difficult to detect, nearly imperceptible. The presence of so much fungus does not make detection easier. I'm virtually certain my lens is not multi-coated, and of course it is not marked "VMC".

Should I ever buy another copy of this lens, rest assured it will have the "VMC" plainly marked.



Here is a site with all the instructions and parts listing for taking it apart.

http://www.boggys.co.uk/page40.html


Thank you for posting that link!! I had not seen the website before and it is excellent. It's absolutely amazing the following this lens appears to have.

This thread is giving me impetus to get moving and clean my lens up. It's also noteworthy that, at least the last time I looked, these lenses remain affordable . . . . even for the "VMC" versions!! What's not to like! Smile

ETA

Looking further (deeper) into Boggy's site, that has to be the primo Kiron site on the net. OMG, he has just about anything you ever wanted for Kiron lenses!

Here is the jumping off point:

http://www.boggys.co.uk/index.html


PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
You can buy a tripod collar, but you won't be able to move the slider all the way down.


True, but if you are using it with a Sony NEX or similar, buy your adapter with a built-in tripod mount. I bought my Kiron manufactured VMC lens with Olympus OM mount and dedicated clamp-on rubber hood a few months ago for 17.






PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw this lens with hood like this... and it is original one too!
I need to look for adapter like you have while it is heavy one... I want this hood too!

Now I need to search for Nikon to m4/3 adapter with built-in tripod mount... Rolling Eyes


PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those hoods are all over ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVITAR-SERIES-1-COLLAPSIBLE-LENS-HOOD-FOR-70-210MM-F3-5-MACRO-ZOOM-LENS-/330713062634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0008dcea

Is this the mount your looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-F-AI-to-Micro-4-3-M4-3-M43-Mount-Adapter-w-Tripod-Mount-GF3-GX1-EP3-OM-D-/271107662095?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3f1f46a10f


PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
Those hoods are all over ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVITAR-SERIES-1-COLLAPSIBLE-LENS-HOOD-FOR-70-210MM-F3-5-MACRO-ZOOM-LENS-/330713062634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0008dcea

Is this the mount your looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-F-AI-to-Micro-4-3-M4-3-M43-Mount-Adapter-w-Tripod-Mount-GF3-GX1-EP3-OM-D-/271107662095?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item3f1f46a10f


I didn't know that this is collapsible hood! Right now when I saw it I think I saw this lens with one but never payed attention to it... and you was faster then me searching for it Embarassed(I just checked my email first before starting research) but now it is done... no need for me to search! Razz

Thank you! Very Happy

EDIT: I will search a bit more to see if one seller has both items...


PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Vivitar S-1 70-210 trio & superb Kiron 70-210 with zoom-lock

Left to right:
Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Komine model), f/2.8-4
Kiron 70-210. f/4 with Zoom-lock

Regarding Viv S-1 glass. There are numerous (Cool Series 1, 70-210 lenses. However, for the sake of discussion, we will deal with the first three. The following editions are nothing to seriously consider, so we will concentrate on the first three editions, which are the good one's. The 4th & 5th editions are also 2.8-4 variable aperture model's, but lacking in construction quality (Cosina built). Due to the fact that the third one is a variable aperture lens, (2.8-4) it will be somewhat sharper than a fixed aperture lenses. It is much easier to design and build a quality variable aperture lens.

The first edition was designed by Vivitar (Ellis Betensky of NASA Optics fame), had a hand in it, and it was built by Kiron. (67mm filter) It is a professional caliber lens, with a 1:2 macro feature built into it. It was the first zoom, designed with the aid of computers, that truly rivaled the OEM lenses of the time. That was in "76."

The second edition (my personal favorite) was built by Tokina, per, Vivitars specs. It too, is a fixed 3.5 aperture, but smaller, lighter and sharper. (62mm filter size). I really like it because of the fixed 3.5 aperture which is nice for focusing in dim light and long range flash work. However, not a true macro, 1:4 life size.

The third edition (perhaps my new personal favorite) was made by Komine, and like the first two, is very well built. It is a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, and the sharpest of the bunch. It has 1:2.5 life size macro from 100-210mm's, with a working distance of about two feet. Which can be quite useful. Can you see a discernible difference in slides taken with either one of them? No! Don't get caught up in bench tests. Any of the first three editions will give you professional-publishable images. I really like this lens, and over time, has become my favorite of the line.

Personally, I recommend the second or third edition of the line. I have and use all three of the first editions, and can highly recommend any one of them. Superb optics and construction.

Also, the Kiron 70-210 f/4, is a splendid performer.

QLP (Kiron Kid & MrVivSeries1)


PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Shot on crappy Agfachrome with the first edition, Vivitar S-1 70-210 in macro mode. No post processing.


PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Made with the third edition (Komine model) on Kodak Portra 400 film. No post processing other than slight cropping.


PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:


Made with the third edition (Komine model) on Kodak Portra 400 film. No post processing other than slight cropping.


Well captured shot, Russ. Smile


PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: a new find... Reply with quote

New to me, the lens and this thread...









these next 3 are 100% crops