Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How frequently do you crave for AF ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: How frequently do you crave for AF ? Reply with quote

We are all loving our MF lenses , but sometimes I feel I need more some A F and automation . Just now I think I'll get myself an 24-85 for my Canon EOS IX and a lot of aps films that I have to use . The eos IX is a beautiful camera but I don't have the lenses suited for it .The 17-35 is a good one , but from my experience this format is not best suited for wide lenses , it works better with normal and tele ( too small frame for too much detail - . Because the smaller frame area (56% from 35mm film) the grain dimension is bigger vs frame area resulting a grainier , thus sharpless image .Even the lp/mm is the same in Nexia and superia , being basically the same emulsion. The APS enlargement potential is lower than the 35mm , similar to the 35mm vs MF ) . It works well with an old Sigma zoom 28-200 but that's a bit too big . The 50/1,8 works well making a field like a 60-65mm on ff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my i use 98% Manual lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the subject that makes the difference for me. Birds,motorsports,ect make AF welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big telephoto lenses are all AF, VR and all the great stuff but everything else is all MF.

AF is great for motor sports, wildlife, airshows, etc. I usually carry my Df and small kit of old Nikkor lenses. I don't think I have ever had an AF lens on the Df.
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF for family and freelance, MF for hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only AF lens I have left is the OMD kitlens (12-50) which I use for light tent shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes AF just hits the spot...Ah have 4 Minolta AF lenses, a Tokina (19-35mm), and a Sigma. Wouldn't part with any of them.

Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never grave for an AF lens, but sometimes I wonder if I should get a small AF zoom camera like e.g. a Sony RX100 or Panasonic Lumix LF1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found myself most often craving MF lenses, not AF ones. All the AF lenses I'm most interested in have new price tags that are more expensive than what I typically pay for a used car, so I don't usually develop cravings for something this far out of reach.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fast moving subjects like birds and kids, AF can be very restful! I have some wonderful AF shots from my trusty old Nikon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally always bring a AF lens with. The only subjects I would really consider only using AF for would be birds, and mostly because of the Camera's I use.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , frequently , for family ocasional snapshots , I much prefere a compact or my epl1 just because they just don't want to stay too much to wait me to focus ! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I am shooting subjects that do not sit still or where you have to act quickly to get the shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe in the phrase 'horses for courses', and that there is no such thing as an all purpose tool. no single tool is perfect for all ocassions, so i personally have no problem picking and choosing based on intended purpose or my mood. i,m inherently suspicious of the 'i never do X' mindset, as i find it needlessly limiting. life is too short to exclude eating blueberries because i really like eating strawberries. 'purity' is a religious concept, not a hobby concept.

personally, i find the flexibility of AF makes unobtrusive street shooting so much easier than MF. some will counter that they 'hyperfocus'. well, then youve merely turned your MF cam/lens into a point and shoot! youre not focusing at all, so whats the difference between hyperfocal shooting and having the camera focus when you push the shutter?
tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
personally, i find the flexibility of AF makes unobtrusive street shooting so much easier than MF. some will counter that they 'hyperfocus'. well, then youve merely turned your MF cam/lens into a point and shoot! youre not focusing at all, so whats the difference between hyperfocal shooting and having the camera focus when you push the shutter?
tony

There's all the difference in the world, depending on how the camera is set up. If you've set up the AF camera to mimic the MF camera's hyperfocal settings (same shutter speed and aperture), then there is no difference. But if you don't, the AF camera has what might be described as a mind of its own and may interpret the scene very differently, especially if you have it set to Aperture Priority and have selected a different aperture from that the hyperfocal-set camera is using.

Since "unobtrusive street shooting" frequently requires that the camera not be lifted to the eye, then I believe that hyperfocal usage is much better. Because if you don't have at least a hyperfocal setting dialed in with the AF camera and you just point it in the general direction of your subject without confirming framing by lifting it to your eye, the camera may decide to focus on an entirely different spot, rendering the shot wasted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well michael, thats what makes the world go 'round. ive done both and much prefer an AF camera for street shooting. i dont really understand your issue about AF cam in aperture priority, because nothing prevents one from using any aperture they want in an AF setup, governed solely by the DOF they desire. in the hyperfocal setting, one is much more 'locked in' to something around f8 to maximize the likliehood that you get your subject in focus. and again, youve turned your manual focus rig into a lowly point and shoot when in hyperfocus mode, imo no different from an AF setup in practice. one just gets to use fancy words like 'hyperfocal' when describing what theyre doing, but in reality all one is doing is 'pointing and shooting', no further skill required!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you may be choosing to define what you do differently, but everything I wrote was based on personal experience -- and trial and error. A lot of the latter, actually.

My comment about setting up an AF cam in aperture priority in such a way as to mimic a hyperfocal setting is fairly basic. A hyperfocal setting is setting a distance scale to coincide with an aperture value such that anything in that hyperfocal range is rendered acceptably sharp, correct? By presetting the aperture in Aperture Priority to this hyperfocal value, you have determined the same thing, especially since we're discussing street shooting, where typically the distance will be limited by proximity (or at least so it is with my street shooting), in which case the two technologies will essentially achieve the same result. Isn't that what you were getting at? And there's nothing about hyperfocal distance that requires or even suggests that one limit oneself to f/8. I use hyperfocal settings all the time with very wides and ultra wides, where I can frequently get just about my entire field of view in focus at f/4 or so. Sometimes less. Depends on the distance, the lens and the focal length, really.

Well, there is some skill required. A person needs to know how to read a hyperfocal scale and dial it in on his/her camera. But that's about one step more advanced than P&S, so I'll grant you that one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MF far more than AF, but during travel when my kids also use the camera, they need AF.
Still have a set of AF lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take only AF lens I have, which is Tamron SP 17-50/2.8, in situation where I'll be shooting several people at once in reportage style, where I need 2-3 shots of one scene to be sure that for example everyone eyes are open Smile, while those 10 or so people are walking.
Beside that AF lens takes it's place usually for family occasions indoors, since I don't have wide enough MF lens for APS-C, the same when on vacations and need wide angle for landscapes (and I don't have film body with me).

When I go out shooting for fun or making portrait shoot outdoor or indoor I most often pick MF lens. Also when I'm shooting outdoor but fast moving objects (like little kids Razz - don't laugh, kids are seriously faster than motorbike when you want to take a photo) I prefer MF lens. My body's (C 600d) AF isn't fast enough for me in such situations and I'm faster with MF lens that I know very good.