Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you reduce (and not expand)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, fellows, for your tremendous inputs! I read your stories and tips with quite an emotion. First, I've got at which amateur level I find myself with my spontaneously assembled and so spontaneously used set of lenses. Some of you speak from a perspective of persons who tried hundreds of lenses before you started feeling what matches your taste and purposes the most. My experience is not as wide, so do I need to buy more lenses to feel myself easier to say goodbye to most of them? Probalby yes. Then, I much appreciated your tips to focus on something more special in order to chose better. This is a very godd idea. In fact, I was trying many cheao lenses for curiosity. Some of them revealed themselves great, like Jupiter-8, some give more fun, like for example my short-time love story with Pentaflex 2.8/50 (aka Domiplan) with edge defects giving an image like in 3D toy projectors from childhood. I was tending to acquire not expensive. Sometimes I ran into nice bagains, like Heliar 4.5/12cm way below its market price, sometimes it made me discover real gems among standard lenses, like Rollei Planar 1.8/50. But in most cases I stocked a set of lenses that have no great value, at least not in terms of investment or reselling. So, maybe I need to pass to another category of acquisitions, rarer or more expensive (as well as to buy less often) in order to see my whole lens set in a more carefree way.

One of the most interesting threads in the last weeks, IMHO. Thank you again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
so do I need to buy more lenses to feel myself easier to say goodbye to most of them? Probalby yes.
More likely: no Wink

I think your question is more about avoiding a collection consisting mostly of, let's say "meh-lenses" (lenses that leave you indifferent or that you dislike).

A good way to (partly) avoid purchasing these is to do some research up front. Will the specific character of the lens really add something to your collection? Will it really deliver something that none of your other lenses already deliver?

There will always be a chance that the copy you receive is not as good as average, or maybe the character is in the end not exactly a match for you eventually. But stopping with impulse-purchases greatly diminishes the chance of "meh-purchases".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling is harder than buying.
More work.
The root of the problem.

Damn you ebay!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
More work.
The root of the problem.

Damn you ebay!

Fully agree! Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well curiosity drove me to want to try many different lenses, quality concerns came later. I wanted to see for myself, to look through many lenses, to get practical experience, spend some lab time so to speak. I wasn't going to get that by buying Canon L lenses! Although if money were not any concern I would have satisfied my curiosity that way! lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
More work.
The root of the problem.

Damn you ebay!

Nothing like a steady 5% by volume indulgence and a contented eBay browse to plug an imagined hole in a lens collection Wink

The good ship 'Fxxk it'..'

Friends

God bless all who fail in her...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My efforts to reduce my collection have just taken a significant set-back
I've won an auction for a job lot of 15-20 assorted lenses.
Hopefully most will be in acceptable condition (at least the Tamron 54B I spotted among them)

From the research I've done on sold listings I should be able to make my money back, as long as can manage to sell the ones I don't want. Trouble is listing them on e-bay usually proves too much effort Rolling Eyes

Update:
I collected my lenses last night. Turned out to be 21 of them, mostly of minimal value & with traces of fungus on close inspection, though pretty much all seem quite usable.
As well as the 54B (300mm macro prime) I had my eye on there was also a Nikon fit Sigma 180mm macro which I expect to find a use for. Whoo Turtle

I now have to add adapters for MD & FD mounts to my collection, to try them out before trying to treat the fungus on them. - THIS DOESN'T HELP ME REDUCE!
Twisted Evil