Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you focus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: How do you focus? Reply with quote

Another question to get to know you a bit better.

When using manual lenses in your DSlrs, which method do you use to focus properly?

a) A replaced split prism focusing screen (Virtual Village, Haoda...)
b) An adapter with focus confirmation chip
c) A Canon 5D with its huge viewfinder with or without the accesory Canon precision focusing screen
d) My eyes are sharper than an eagle's and can focus without help on any APS-C camera with no problems. Cool
e) Viewfinder Magnifier

In my case I have one adapter with focus confirmation and one without, so it's a mix of b and d

Thank you for your answers! Smile

Last edited by Juanma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my D200's focus confirmation indicator is pretty much spot on, but the viewfinder is bright enough to focus by eye anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my 350D i must trust my eyes, and sometime they lie to me Smile
Moreover i use glasses to correct my vision.
So it is not easy for me to always trust in my focus.
I can see something sharp in the viewfinder and in fact i just have corrected my vision with focus and the picture is not focus Sad

I'll buy an adapter with AF confirm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A combination of B and C

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I used D only, then I thougth it was nice to try the cheap Virtual Village A.

After having received B, I had also confirmation that the 350D AF is sometime front or back focusing, depending on the lens, so I took E option (not listed here because it's an eyefinder magnifier Wink ) and it was more comfortable (1.2x factor).

As I did more and more portraits, A solution was just pain as the split prism was often unusable on faces (no straight line) so I put back the mat screen.

Finaly I have switched for C solution with now precision screen !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On every Nikon focus confirmation works perfectly I didn't want anything else.
On Olympus E-1 I replaced to Katz-Eye split screen it lot better than without that, but not reach focus confirmation convince.

On Olympus E-300 don't need any tool just works fine with genuine focusing screen!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just B, I tried the VV focusing screen but I was not able to do a 100% precission tune. And of course, I didn't get a 5D Sad...

Best regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, for Canon focus confirmation adapter works perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just A
But I want C with F = liveview

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Jes, for Canon focus confirmation adapter works perfect.

Hi Attila, I wouldn't say "perfect", but quite good on larger focal lengths. For 28mm and down, the focusing is still tricky (at least for me).

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D - I must trust my eyes. It's rather easy for me - the viewfinder in E-300 is better than I expected. Of course this viewfinder looks ridiculous in comparison with big viewfinder in my old Praktica. Sometimes, when my eyes are tired, I can't focus correctly.
And... I don't have any AF lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A combination of B and D. But D with the help of E. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nikons 200 and 70 have what seem to be accurate focus confirmation with all lenses that are attached. A big plus for the Nikon. My Oly300 has no such thing and I cannot really use it - very dim viewfinder and poor eyesight make the whole thing a crapshoot. Has quite spoilt or at least delayed my M42 playing. Looking forward to arrival of a new Canon 40D next week and some chipped adapters.

patrickh Smile Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Canon 40D hmmm Congrats! If you planning to sell your Olympus E-300 might be I will buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you focus? Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Another question to get to know you a bit better.

When using manual lenses in your DSlrs, which method do you use to focus properly?

a) A replaced split prism focusing screen (Virtual Village, Haoda...)

Tried it, didn't work too well and I'm now back to the standard screen. Might try another make.

Quote:
b) An adapter with focus confirmation chip

Will definitely be getting one soon, and more later.

Quote:

c) A Canon 5D with its huge viewfinder with or without the accesory Canon precision focusing screen

If only... someday. Smile

Quote:

d) My eyes are sharper than an eagle's and can focus without help on any APS-C camera with no problems. Cool

That certainly used to be true - it's surprised me how crap my eyesight has become just in the past couple of years. Of course, a dozy optician didn't help - he misread my right eye (my focusing eye) and I now have to get another set of lenses for my specs.

Quote:
e) Viewfinder Magnifier

I might try that, it's an easy and cheap gadget.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad Embarassed

Sorry Attila

I have promised it to my daughter and her husband - it's the only way I can be reasonably sure that they will take pictures of the baby due i March (my third grandson - and I had four daughters!)

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all I just thought you don't want to keep. I am glad if you keep it this is an excellent cam.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.

cheap sh*ty 20euro split prism focusing screen made in china,but it gets the job done Smile