Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you choose which focal length to use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can give as advice is to stick with fixed focals. While zooms are practical if you have some mixed assignement (like a wedding), when I walk on streets with a camera I always use now a fixed focal lens being it a 28 or a 200.
Why? Basically for two reasons, the first is that you have to move yourself and get chances to see what you usually wouldn't see, new framings, new perspectives, etc. It destroys my lazyness. Sure sometimes you can't get exactly what you wanted but see it the other way. You have to find new ways to shot what you wanted and get a decent result. It's refreshing!
The second reason is that the time you zoom in and out you lost contact to reality and usually to the famous "decisive moment", it's far better to use the time you have to frame creatively the subject with a fixed focal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sensible reasoning, Alessandro. Makes sense...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I found the best approach to learning what a lens can do is to simply restrict myself to one lens for two or threee days

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
For me I found the best approach to learning what a lens can do is to simply restrict myself to one lens for two or threee days

Something that I usually do as well. Laughing Laughing Wink