Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How about a 1930's VOIGTLANDER ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: How about a 1930's VOIGTLANDER ? Reply with quote

A fellow Club Member told me a lady who lives opposite him had an 'Old Camera' in her loft for many years and offered it too him -- well, he did not want it so got it for ME as members know I am a sucker for 'Old Film Cameras' and give them a 'Good Home'
It was a 1930's Voigtlander 'Brilliant' with f6.3 lens, case, instructions, Yellow Filter in small leather case --all DIRTY !! I had to brush it all out with a toothbrush, wipe off the DUST with a moist cloth, clean the lens and filter with lens fluid and tissues and put some 'Neatsfoot Oil' onto the leather cases and straps -- then I loaded it up with Fillum and tried it out ( pics on another section )

Voigtlander 4 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great little camera. Enjoy it.

just looked at the photos, it performs well, a little flary but normal for an uncoated lens. A nice find. Are you goung to 'restore' it or keep it as it is??

I looked up neatsfoot oil. Is this a good product for cleaning old brown leather camera cases?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil : re Neatsfoot Oil --- I was given 500mls in a plastic container -- I have been in contact with the manufacturers and the MD said it WAS suitable for camera cases and leather straps. I touch a drop into a kitchen tissue and wipe some over -- not too much -- it sinks in a dries well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !
This is an earlier one - I recently sold a later version but also pre-war.
Its great to have the extras, they are so often lost.

The flare on the shots may very well be caused by haze on inner elements.
On such old cameras I find this almost 100% of the time.
Not hard to clean generally, as they are uncoated, but on this one a bit of a problems as you will have to reset infinity on the front cell after cleaning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for viewing : well, I took out the shutter and lens panel and managed to get into the FRONT element but I could not unscrew the retaining ring to get into the rear element so that is from where the 'haze' is coming .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to, working from the rear, unscrew the rear cell on the back of the shutter.
If this is a triplet, and it likely is, that should give you all the surfaces.