Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Horizont
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Horizont Reply with quote

I have just bought one of these swinging lens panoramic cameras. It seems to all be working well. I need to run a film through it.

Any know where I might find an English translation of the manual?

Many thanks, Kris.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there are different types, it could be helpful to mention which Horizon you have.
Is it the original heavy-metal-body from the 60's or is it the more recent, heavy-plastics-202 ?

A google-translated version for the original type : http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zenitcamera.com%2Fmans%2Fhorizon%2Fhorizon.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the heavy metal late sixties / early seventies model.

Thanks for the link.

K.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice one.

Please show some results when you have them. I am quite curious how this heavy-metal Horizont compares to my newer 202. I wouldn't be surprised if this one performs even better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - ! Nice find. Had one in the 1970s and it worked fine, but the effect of the swinging lens takes some getting used to.

Did you get the little grip with it? Without something to hold the camera below the baseplate it's oh-so-easy to get your fingers in shot Very Happy

Have fun !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very difficult to find a working camera these days and if you do, it costs an arm and a leg with the second mortgage! But, it's yet another camera I've fancied, is there anyone else on here , who shares my problem? That's the one, where ones tastes and ones income, live on separate planets!! Very nice photos in the gallery Womble, I expected them to be wider than that, is that a full frame? Horizont's were known to stick! Or did you crop? Or has my memory shrunk (possibly?)? I know this list is a year old, but thought to comment anyhow, if you've fixed its leak and used it again, would like to know how you got on.
vbr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Kris!

Good luck with it and please show some pics. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much to my embarrassment I have only run one roll through this gem some of which were posted here: http://forum.mflenses.com/1972-horizont-first-roll-t42089,highlight,%2Bhorizont.html

I need to get the light leak sorted but haven't done so yet. Embarassed Normally I'd do the seals myself but with the Horizont the problem is either side of the swinging lens so less straightforward than usual. I'll send it off soon, promise! At the moment I'm playing with my Werra and I've managed to get my FED2 adjusted to take the 35mm lens... too many toys!

BTW, the pictures are not cropped , although one or two may be leveled a little...

K.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on any developments Kris. I fancied one of those Horizont's back years ago, when I worked at/for Technical & Optical Equipment LTD (Up the Seven Sisters Road, Holloway Thale Villas. All gone now tho'). Opted instead for a Zenit B (without meter) instead. I couldn't afford the Horizont, they were expensive even then. They were impressive cameras that produced stunning results, so if you get yours sorted, it'll be well worth the hassle doing so. The panoramics that the swinging lens produces is far more accurate perspectives than stitching several stills together, which, however well done, still have a lttle distortion `across' the frames. It's like if you look at 3 joining scenes from the same standpoint, with one eye, but the horizont does it as one scene viewed with both eyes, which is how you must view the results for best effect.

happy hunting