Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Home made body cap lens for m43
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Home made body cap lens for m43 Reply with quote

A while back I had a bit of a play with a 28mm FL lens unit rescued from a film compact. A diaphragm was cut from some dark coloured food packaging and all assembled using double sided tape into a body cap with a suitable hole carved in it. Some experimentation was necessary to come up with a compromise focus setting to produce samples like.

http://www.blipfoto.com/entry/3304431

I've since dismantled the components aiming to one day reassemble in permanent form which may become a reality soon as I'm joining a community group with access to CNC machines, 3d printers and laser cutters. Being able to make a simple mechanism adjust for zone focus would be good.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love doing stiff like that, I've converted many. show us a pic of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture from it, I'm with Phil on this subject and have no problems sacrificing old compacts to get a lens. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I love doing stiff like that, I've converted many. show us a pic of it.

No longer exists as such but mk2 well on the way this morning as I eviscerated a Canon Advantix T570 APS film compact for its 28mm f3.5 Ektanar All Glass Lens (impressive? Smile.

https://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/advantix/t570/ownerManual/toc.shtml

I discovered that the lens cell sits in a nice long helical mounting tube, For lens retraction as well as focussing I think. After dremelling a suitable hole in a body cap, the shoulders of the tube sit at just the right distance to allow the lens cell to be turned to focus between infinity and pretty close. The lens cell has an integral shutter which I jammed open. A nice round aperture is formed by the open shutter. I've taken some pics of the components, just getting out the Araldite. The helix is a little sloppy so I will experiment with a little plumbers tape to add some resistance to turning.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the cap and neck from a shampoo bottle once to make a focusing helix. It worked quite well. Plumbers plastic couplings are good too, a little lubrication on the threads make focusing smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Components, finished article and some samples. Finishing touch was to add a small screw as a movement limiter stopping the lens from falling into the body if screwed in too far. Focus is available from a bit past infinity to a macro ratio of about 1.1, meaning about 40mm of a scale rule across the frame of a pic is possible but not much helix left. This is more than twice as close as my 20mm f1.7 can achieve so a useful pocketable macro for flowers etc.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't argue with that ! Great results. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am quite pleased with the results. I just bought another Kodak from Ebay perhaps to try out an idea of a fixed tilt lens. Shoot right way up for "toy" effect or upside down for increased DOF.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, very imaginative solution!.
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very ingenious, full marks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results and a neat conversion.

I too have toyed with the idea of a tilt lens exactly the same as you. The problem I have encountered is sensor distance, which is too short with compact camera lenses allowing little room for the purpose. The image circle on these short focus lenses is quite small, especially the APS lenses. lenses from a 35mm cam are probably better.

let us know how you get on.

What is the helical from?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helix and lens are a set from a little Kodak Advantix. I have a tilt adapter for M43 which works ok with an Ensinor 24mm.

http://www.blipfoto.com/entry/3330198

Not many options for going wider (tilt zenitar fisheye Smile