Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Holga/Foma 120 film and reverse-curling film backs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Holga/Foma 120 film and reverse-curling film backs Reply with quote

What happened the other day is new to me -- I'd loaded up the Graflex 22 back with Holga/Foma 400, with the familiar black backing paper. The insert loads the way many such do - there is a reverse curl to the film, rather than the straight path most non-insert cameras use. Apparently the backing paper has some stiffness to it -- when I went to take out the take-up spool the spool started to unravel, like a spring. I put the tape on, but appears not strongly enough, because the damn roll started unraveling in a hurry! Quicly I slipped it into a pocket and rushed to get it developed.

I think maybe in some vintage straight line film path situations the Foma backing might be a benefit, especially with vintage auto stop mechanisms that assume a certain thickness to the film + backing. But I will be staying away from this film with my Graflex, P645 etc backs...

Here's a sample, the 8's I believe refelected off the paper onto the film one rotation ahead of it... This is with the RB Graflex Series B 2x3, though I was trying an older Bausch-Lomb Tesssar 1c on the camera, at f/5.8

Creampuff by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens / film is capable of some sharpness; however I don't see any reason not to stick with the Lumenized Ektar that came with the camera.

House across the street by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more with the B-L Tessar 1c, wide open.

Ziggy awake by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tessar looks quite capable. Lower contrast but you would expect that with an uncoated one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful backlight in the last photo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm having a ball with the old Graflex.

Someone on the flickr Foma group said that the Holga version has different / cheaper backing paper than Foma or Arista.edu.