Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

History of the Pentax K1000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: History of the Pentax K1000 Reply with quote

Article from a 2012 edition of Amateur Photographer magazine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Pentax guy so thanks for posting. The K1000 is not my favorite Pentax, in fact, it barely made my list but it is a solid performer and I do appreciate its place in the historical lineup so I'll enjoy the article.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Pentax too, and have from time to time tried to work out the great mystery of the Pentax K1000 iconic status. It seems to be seated in its recommendations to student photographers. I wish I knew how this recommendation came about as it was subsequently quoted and re-quoted so often, it took on it's own momentum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Pentax K1000 SE in 1979 and still own it to this day. Nice performer, totally manual just the way I like it and with a surprisingly nice stock lens. I took many hundreds of photos with it in subsequent years, many of them time-lapse nighttime cityscapes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that, nice little read.

I too had my first taste with a K1000 I borrowed from a work mate.

I was shooting on some canon powershot something at the time and he offered he has some stuff he wasn't using.. thus commenced the curse...

Of course like everyone I started taking photos of tree's

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9KSVuzNNrAQDy3qr9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XB2b2okomXGgYCqR7

(I still like trees) I think this was out of one of the first few rolls actually.. Because coming from a PowerShot something, shallow depth of field was new and exciting! Razz

Anyway the K1000 moved with me and I started taking photos of all sorts of dumb things.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qkX9TdpHJkxAM3Mx7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WjGstVBnedsLCZVw7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zhajw74WNuzf9Wpj6

(I married that one Smile )

So yes, the K1000's thus is cemented in another generation (I found it in the early 2000's) and I will do my best to pull a roll of film through it... well perhaps I might start with at least once a year and built up from there..

THANK YOU K1000! Razz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now feel this is the place for ye all to enter with your K1000 stories.

Perhaps lets start with who doesn't have a K1000 story Razz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known about the K1000 and its iconic status for almost as long as I've been into photography. But I chose Canon when I started out, so I was more of a spectator regarding it, more than anything else. After I bought a Canon FTb, frankly I didn't understand its appeal, since, to me, the FTb was a superior camera. In 1990 I had the occasion to use a Pentax KX for a few outings, and I grew to really like that camera. I saw it as the Pentax version of the FTb, which aided in my appreciation for it. But what really sold me on the KX was its metering accuracy and the Pentax lenses I used. They were surprisingly good.

These days, I have an almost complete set of Pentax K cameras. The only one I don't own is the K1000. I own a KM, KX, and K2. I just didn't see any point in adding a K1000 to my K stable. Still don't. Later, I added an MX and an LX to the list, and as far as I'm concerned, this group of cameras consists of all the K-mount Pentaxes I'll ever need.

I really like the MX and especially the LX, but I find that I still have a soft spot in my heart for the venerable old KX -- simply a great, rugged, do-anything workhorse of a camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sell these but it was a hard sell when all the other cameras were auto this and that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I'm Pentax too, and have from time to time tried to work out the great mystery of the Pentax K1000 iconic status. It seems to be seated in its recommendations to student photographers. I wish I knew how this recommendation came about as it was subsequently quoted and re-quoted so often, it took on it's own momentum.

In the mid-1980s both the Pentax K1000 and the Praktica were commonly used as student cameras here in Switzerland, sometimes along with SRT-101 models. Especially the Praktica, but also the K1000 and, to a lesser extent, the SRT, felt rather clunky to me. I was dreaming of a Canon "new F-1", or maybe a Pentax LX (the M6 Leica and especially their lenses seemed outrageously expensive), while i was using proudly my brand new Mamiya ZM too shoot girls during class Wink.

I have a K1000 in my collection now, but honestly never had a closer look at her ... the LX is far more attractive Wink.

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K1000’s status is funny one, isn’t it.

Even having started out with Pentax (an MV-1), when I picked up a manual body to get more control the MX seemed like a much better choice simply due to the presence of a DOF preview lever. Since starting to dabble in buying classic cameras and lenses over recent years I’ve always flipped K1000s immediately and never even thought of putting a roll of film through one. Of course the easy availability of the K1000 helps too, making easy to recommend. This may also apply to the Canon AE-1, another decent but not amazing camera which has been elevated to a sort of iconic status.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this history. Very much.

The Me súper, MX and LX, great cama.

Thr K1000 took the place of the old spotmatic here, in Argentina and Uruguay.

Rollei 6x6, Voigtlander RF and Bessamatics de luxe, Contaflex súper B and Spotmatic were thecameras to go for in the 60's here