Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Hidden" Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: "Hidden" Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro Reply with quote

Here are some shots of the Vivitar lens that was "hidden" in the eBay auction for a Yashica Electro X camera.

Included was the camera, a Vivitar 100-300 (possibly crap), a Soligor 35-70/2.5 Macro (possibly a good lens), a mint full set of close-up lenses, and the Vivitar lens. I paid $97 for the lot. Shocked

Well, it turns out the Vivitar is brand new! Not even a scratch anywhere, and I would not be surprised if it hasn't even been mounted before.

I have a heard nice things about the lens. I hope to soon have some images to scan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrarats Larry, this lens has good reputation! I like as normal 90mm lens I never tried yet it's macro capability.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a piece of chance , I say ! Congrats ! . It happened to me to get a 3,5/28 Smc Tak and a 105 , a 135 fujinon in such a lot , with 4 bodies, 7 lenses , accessories , the whole thing for 50 euros included p and p . the vendor described all as "out of order" the only problem was a praktica shutter....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I call a bargain!! Nice lens!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Laurence, brand new bargain!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Laurence!

I'm really curious, how good lens is it. I heard a lot about kiron 105 and tamron 90 and the third was the vivitar among the best macro lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have reputedly the best of the bunch - this is the Tokina model, sometimes referred to as the "Bokina". I can assure you that the lens on the open ebay properly labeled could go for as much as $300 easily. You will just love this piece of glass for both macro and portrait and it will rival the best you currently have. What a catch - good for you

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, as Patrick says it has an excellent reputation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon if I interrupt, but this was taken with that Viv (definitely oneof my favourite lenses)

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Pardon if I interrupt, but this was taken with that Viv (definitely oneof my favourite lenses)

patrickh
Very nice!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it sounds like I have a good one! Thank all you folks!

Also, Patrick....that is a STUNNING image. I can't get over the beautiful fade-out of the out-of-focus areas...simply like melted butter!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

That's the boke in Bokina Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've this lens and wont part from it...MOTHER of all sharpnestttt...

compared it with my 180mm macro L, the 180mm Macro L only win in term of no greenish abberation on specular highligt)...this issue will be tackle down if u use the dedicated 1:1 macro adapter that come with the vivitar. wow it got a very high resolving power until it shows on 1ds sensor (so far my 180 apo telyt and this lens that can create moire pattern for rooftop of houses from a distance).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Hoping Reply with quote

Ok, you guys convinced me to pull the trigger on a buy of the 90/2.5. I hope it's as awesome as you say.

I love shooting flowers and can't wait to try it out. Of course with 3 feet of snow in the yard still I may never see the spring blooms, Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoping Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:
Ok, you guys convinced me to pull the trigger on a buy of the 90/2.5. I hope it's as awesome as you say.

I love shooting flowers and can't wait to try it out. Of course with 3 feet of snow in the yard still I may never see the spring blooms, Laughing

Another one succumbs to the treasures of information! I truly hope that it meets your expectations, and I'm anxious to see some results!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Coincidence? Reply with quote

I bought a Canon FD SLR camera (T90) for 57 dollars which was at my local Goodwill store - it had a standard 50mm prime, but as Atilla warned me, the FD lenses will not work on anything else due to their breech mounts and the focus register.

By this time I had bought a Vivitar 90mm Series 1 with macro adapter and picked up an Adaptall 2 30-80 SP zoom in a FD mount, thinking I could always use it with my Pentax-A adaptall mount.

I tried the Vivitar today, expecting little for 45 dollars including shipping and... WOW! It is as good as my Tokina macro and the Pentax-A 2.8 100mm which cost me hundreds! I would never have known to buy this gem without you guys, so THANKS! Very Happy

PS I had forgotten how convenient split image and micro-prism focus are, on the HUGE viewfinder of the Canon 35mm SLR especially when compared with my Pentax K10D - let alone the tiny porthole on the Panasonic-L !!!!