Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hi, and what do you think of the following lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Hi, and what do you think of the following lenses? Reply with quote

Hello, my fisrt post here Smile I just discovered the possibility to use M42 and old lenses on my Canon EOS350, and now I found this forum and some nice sites on the net. Great! I have ordered an adapter with AF-confirm

I havent actually bought any lenses yet, but keeping a close eye on some auctions (hm, is it called auctions in english...?). Found a few but I cant afford them all, so therefore my question - wich of these lenses (some attached to cameras Wink ) would you choose? (from what I can tell all of them seems to go quite cheap):

• Yes! Won this (5€+shipping): Pentacon electric 2.8 / 135
  • Yes, this one to (25€+shipping): Praktica EE2 + Pentacon auto 2,8 / 28 mm
  • Lost this one in a last minute battle Sad Chinon 2.8 / 35
  • Crap, lost this one to Praktica Super TL1000 + Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 29 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 135
  • Added: Praktina IIA + T (Tessar) 50mm/2.8
  • Added: Praktica 4B + Meyer Optik Görlitz Primotar E 3.5 / 50 +
    Schneider Kreuznach Tele Xenar 3.5 / 135 + ENNA Munchen Lithagon 3.5 / 35 mm

• Update, not this one. Auto Tamron 2.8 / 135
  • Update, not this one. Sigma High Power Zoom 1:4.5 / 70-230
  • Update, not this one. Tamron Tele Macro 3.8 / 80-210
  • Update, not this one. Praktica Super TL + Domiplan 2.8 / 50
  • Update, not this one. Praktica Super TL + Domiplan 2.(8?) 50 + Expert 2.8 135

I think the 50mm is what comes last in my wishes, because I already have Canons EF 50mm 1.8, wich I like.

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:43 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pretty nice lens ! Congrats! Pentacon 135mm f2.8 one of my fav.

Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look for the later Tamron 135/2,5 Adaptal 2 instead of the older one. The Tamron 80-210 is good, but the SP range are better still and don't tend to cost much more.

Praktica Super TL1000 + Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 29 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 135 - could be a pretty good starting set

Don't forget you can also get Canon-Nikon adapters - there are some lovely old Nikkors going for silly money...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

# Pentacon electric 2.8 / 135
Quite nice, elegant bokeh. Not my personal favourite 135mm, though, but don't get me wrong, it's a very good lens.

(# Praktica EE2 + Pentacon auto 2,8 / 28 mm
# Auto Tamron 2.8 / 135
# Chinon 2.8 / 35
# Sigma High Power Zoom 1:4.5 / 70-230)
Don't know.

# Tamron Tele Macro 3.8 / 80-210
Tamron lenses are usually really good, but I would recommend to look for the SP-series.

# Praktica Super TL1000 + Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 29 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 135
Very nice set. I know the 50 and the 135, both are very good lenses.

# Praktica Super TL + Domiplan 2.8 / 50
I've got a Domiplan 50 for my EXA. It is said to be not that good, but I quite like. Not too bad a lens.

# Praktica Super TL + Domiplan 2.(8?) 50 + Expert 2.8 135
I don't know the "Expert".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Smile

The single Pentacon 135mm is actually at 1€ still and the auction is finished tomorrow morning. I think its because the ad doesnt say much at all about the lens, but I managed to figure out what it was from a picture. Most of the others is at 10€ - 20€.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Smile

The single Pentacon 135mm is actually at 1€ still and the auction is finished tomorrow morning. I think its because the ad doesnt say much at all about the lens, but I managed to figure out what it was from a picture. Most of the others is at 10€ - 20€.

Well at that sort of price unless the shipping is horrendous you can't go wrong Wink

Don't forget to have a look at the gallery to see what different members have dones with different lenses, and the forum search facility should bring up more samples (and opinions).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praktica Super TL1000 + Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 29 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 135

This is a nice kit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
# Auto Tamron 2.8 / 135
Don't know.

You don't know??? You commented on test shots only a few days ago! Razz Razz Razz The beginning of the end, my friend? Wink

About the Auto Tamron, you can look at some sample pictures on my "website". The lens is not particularly good, nor is it that bad. Fact is that you can have lenses of considerable better quality for not that much more money. So the "why bother?" argument comes into effect here. Nevertheless, if you like playing and can have it for peanutes, take and experience it. The Auto Tamrons were the first line of lenses from that company. I will not (try to) sell this lens until I have tested it performance in UV and IR photography. It has a very simple optical design and no coating, making it a good candidate for good performance in the UV and also the IR area.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Prometheus. You are in the right place.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
Quote:
# Auto Tamron 2.8 / 135
Don't know.

You don't know??? You commented on test shots only a few days ago! Razz Razz Razz The beginning of the end, my friend? Wink

I can comment on photos, but I would not recommend or discredit a lens that I never used myself. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi, and what do you think of the following lenses? Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:

[*]Praktica Super TL1000 + Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 29 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 135

You probably have to pay for shipping too, so buying whole kit would save money? These are very common lenses and good for the price!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi, and what do you think of the following lenses? Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
Prometheus wrote:

[*]Praktica Super TL1000 + Pentacon auto 1.8 / 50 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 29 + Pentacon auto 2.8 / 135

You probably have to pay for shipping too, so buying whole kit would save money? These are very common lenses and good for the price!

I had such kit for less than 30€ incl. shipping some days ago in France, and I guess it's a fair price. It depends on the final price and the shipping cost Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

At least I have decided to skip the Sigma zoom.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Thanks Smile

At least I have decided to skip the Sigma zoom.

Many old MF zoom are crap. The best ones are not so cheap, or bargain with some luck Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
# Tamron Tele Macro 3.8 / 80-210
Tamron lenses are usually really good, but I would recommend to look for the SP-series.

Plus, it's easy to buy the wrong one by mistake. The one to avoid is the 03A
http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/03A.html
the one to get is the 103A http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/103A.html
There's a distinct difference in appearance between the two - and the good one has no built in hood.
The 103A is not quite as good as an SP, but it's good in its own right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Plus, it's easy to buy the wrong one by mistake. The one to avoid is the 03A
There's a distinct difference in appearance between the two - and the good one has no built in hood.

Ok, thanks - this seems to be the first one, 03A - it has a hood.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
. . . The one to avoid is the 03A

Don't discount this lens, I've got one and I love it.

One to keep a look out for is the Tamron SP 35-80mm F 1:2.8-3.8 Tele-macro. Gorgeous lens I got mine because of Laurence Smile Check out the posted pics he shot with it - I've posted some too (If you check out Laurence's images you'll see why his advice has clout)

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Smile

Now I won the first, Pentacon electric 2.8/135. Ended at 5€ + shipping = probably about 8€.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would you pay for

Praktica Super TL1000
Pentacon auto 1.8/50 + UV-filter + hood
Pentacon auto 2.8/29 + UV-filter + hood
Pentacon auto 2.8/135 +UV-filter + hood
Set of makrorings (dont know the exact word in english)
Camerabag and some other accessories.

.. in a set? Auction ends tomorrow and now it is on 20€. But I travelling by train when auction ends, so I'm thinking of setting a highest bid and let the website bid for me.
Edit: The seller has not tested the equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50-100 EUR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Now I won the first, Pentacon electric 2.8/135. Ended at 5€ + shipping = probably about 8€.

Congrats ! That is a very good price !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Prometheus wrote:

Congrats ! That is a very good price !

Indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see some bargains still out there. Well done

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but today I was not so lucky. Lost both both I was so sure to win Crying or Very sad

Now I'm looking at this one:
Vivitar Sun Zoom 85-210mm F 4.5 for Nikon

Only thing is I have to buy a Nikon-adapter for my 350D in that case.

Theres also a Chinon 135mm 2.8, but its a Pentax K-mount so there I also have to buy a new adapter.

Theres also a couple of Contaflex Carl Zeiss but they doesnt say wich mount, does anyone know? Its Contaflex "Carl Zeiss 1,4/115" and "Contaflex Carl Zeiss 3,2/35"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you worry about "loosing"... Your collection can grow quickly out of control, I know what I'm talking about Embarassed You place a bid on a camera with lens a, b and c, and over there a nice collection of camera with lens d and e, and hey, another camera with zoomlens f. Before you know, you have 3 cameras and 6 lenses. In about two months time, I have "collected" more Prakticas than I've had girlfriends in my life Razz Be patient, some lenses are not difficult to find and missing one bid today is not the end of the world - tomorrow it will be offered by someone else. Better safe your Kronan for the time a somewhat more exotic item is offered.