Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hexanon 57mm vs 40mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Hexanon 57mm vs 40mm Reply with quote

I have the opportunity (locally) to source either:

Hexanon 57mm F1.4 EE
Hexanon 40mm F1.8 AE

Not sure about the merits of either lens - so looking for some expert advice

Current collection includes:
Hexanon 135mm F3.2
Jupiter 8 50mm F2.

Pentax
200mm F2.5
85mm F2.0 (SMC)
24mm F2.8

For use with a Fuji XE-2.

I like the rendering of the one Hexanon that I have.
I have heard lots about the 50mm F1.7 - but less about the to under review.

My photography is typically:
Landscape
Portrait
Flowers in the garden or in the "wild"

Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 57mm 1.4 much better. It is a little older though and heavier. Much more robust but I think it is sharper. Just my opinion though. Here is a thread with some images I took with one of my copies:

http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-57mm-1-4-on-sony-a7ii-t73756.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hexanon 57mm f/1.4 is one of my favorites.

Here're some samples (Sony mirrorless)
https://www.talkemount.com/threads/konica-hexanon-57mm-1-4.4351/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is little to choose between the two, but the 57mm focuses fractionally closer.
This might be an advantage for portraits as will the longer focal length. I have both and they are very close to each other both wide open and closed down.
Here are some samples quickly taken this afternoon. I did not move the tripod so that you can see the wider field of view of the 40mm and the narrower field from the 57mm.

Wide open:
40mm

57mm

40mm

57mm

Closed down to f8
40mm

57mm

40mm

57mm

If the lenses that you are looking at are the same price, then I would choose the 57mm. If the 40mm is significantly cheaper, I would pick it and learn to use its strengths to your advantage. You already have a 135 and an 85mm for portraits, so the longer focal length will not be so much of an advantage there, and you can use your 50mm for shots of more than one person.
Keep in mind also that the 57mm is almost twice the size and twice the weight of the 40mm.
On the Fuji camera, the 40mm is easier to carry and to use.
Hope this helps
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rushed the pictures yesterday so thought that I would take a few more today.
Here they are:
OH

57mm

40mm

40mm

I sometimes read comments that seem to indicate that the 40mm is not much of a lens. However I have always had good results from it.
Here is a crop of one of the above shots.
I do like this little lens a lot Smile
OH