Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Hexanon 28mm f3.5 won't stop down
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Hexanon 28mm f3.5 won't stop down Reply with quote

I was able to procure a pretty decent copy of the chrome ring EE version . The lens is optically in great condition but it won't stop down. The aperture ring moves , but the lever at the bottom of the lens is loose and doesn't move when the aperture is changed, therefore keeping the lens wide open. The only way I can stop down the lens is if I set the aperture first, then move the lever as far as it will go based on the set aperture and insert a piece of cardboard to keep it in place. Is there any way i can fix it ?

I really seem to like the 28mm focal length on the A6000, so I hope I am able to fix it. If not I might have to start looking for alternatives. The 7 element version of the Hexanon is hard to find. But the Canon FD and Minolta MD 28mm f2.8 lenses are quite common.Are they as good as the Hexanon ? I am also torn apart between these or the Sigma 30mm f2.8 AF lens. I am not sure how it fares against the legacy lenses purely on the basis of image quality.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have at least a shot at fixing the mechanism of your lens, provided you have some mechanical skill together with the right tools. Go slowly and note carefully what you are taking apart, step by step. Take photos along the way, or make drawings and keep notes so you will be able to put it all back together properly. Be very careful not to lose tiny screws and bits and pieces of the various mechanisms. An old egg box can be useful to keep screws and parts segregated and safe.

Speaking in general, Konica primes like yours are relatively serviceable. But you will need patience, great attention to detail and, again, the right tools for the job.

Here is a link which might, or might not, be of interest:

http://forum.mflenses.com/need-guide-how-to-dissasemble-konica-hexanon-ar-50mm-f1-7-t54099,highlight,%2Bhexanon.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hexanon 28mm f3.5 won't stop down Reply with quote

tripside wrote:
I was able to procure a pretty decent copy of the chrome ring EE version . The lens is optically in great condition but it won't stop down. The aperture ring moves , but the lever at the bottom of the lens is loose and doesn't move when the aperture is changed, therefore keeping the lens wide open. The only way I can stop down the lens is if I set the aperture first, then move the lever as far as it will go based on the set aperture and insert a piece of cardboard to keep it in place. Is there any way i can fix it ?

I really seem to like the 28mm focal length on the A6000, so I hope I am able to fix it. If not I might have to start looking for alternatives. The 7 element version of the Hexanon is hard to find. But the Canon FD and Minolta MD 28mm f2.8 lenses are quite common.Are they as good as the Hexanon ? I am also torn apart between these or the Sigma 30mm f2.8 AF lens. I am not sure how it fares against the legacy lenses purely on the basis of image quality.

Off the top of my head, from your description it sounds like the tension spring is either broken or came unhooked. That's a fairly easy fix usually. It's a fairly long spring so if the end broken, you can usually bend the end with a pair of tiny needle-nose pliers to form another hook and attach the spring in place.