Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with adapting old Fujica-X lens on Nikon Z
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Help with adapting old Fujica-X lens on Nikon Z Reply with quote

Hi
I am trying to adapt this lens: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_4306.html on a modern Nikon Z camera.
I do not think there will be an adapter Fujica-X -> Nikon Z any soon on the market, but I could use a combination of adapters. However also in this case I do not see much choice.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make one yourself using an adapter or wait...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like this would work:

Fujica X Lens to Nikon F Mount Camera Click here to see on Ebay

+

Nikon F Mount Lens to Nikon Z Click here to see on Ebay

?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much out there sadly, I even tried a few intermediate adapters like Fujica to M to Z as that would be useful for the other mounts, but I didn't find any, the search is hampered by Fuji's stupid choice to name their new mount FX or Fuji X, it's like if Canon instead called their new mount FD, or Nikon called theirs S mount.

Your best bet is to contact the various adapter makers/sellers and ask for one, especially if they have X-Fujinon adapter already, like Fotodiox, Kipon, K&F, etc....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

+

?

Thanks, but I think the Fujica-F adapter you are suggesting comes with an optical element in it, so that is not going to be an option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion for the OP :

Maybe you know someone who does a little engineering and has a lathe? In that case, source an M42 adaptor for your camera (usually the cheapest) and a defunct Fujica AX-mount camera (readily available), machine the lens side of the adaptor down 1.96mm (the required difference between M42 and Fujica AX back-focus) plus the thickness of the lens mount, remove the lens mount from the camera and mount it on the modified adaptor (four screws).

You'll need to be a little more adventurous with your engineering if you want to be able to lock the lens on the adaptor, but, with a little care, the basic conversion will work and prove whether or not it's worth any more effort.

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Suggestion for the OP :

Maybe you know someone who does a little engineering and has a lathe? In that case, source an M42 adaptor for your camera (usually the cheapest) and a defunct Fujica AX-mount camera (readily available), machine the lens side of the adaptor down 1.96mm (the required difference between M42 and Fujica AX back-focus) plus the thickness of the lens mount, remove the lens mount from the camera and mount it on the modified adaptor (four screws).

You'll need to be a little more adventurous with your engineering if you want to be able to lock the lens on the adaptor, but, with a little care, the basic conversion will work and prove whether or not it's worth any more effort.

Good luck Smile

I'm not too sure whether this will work. Fujica AX adapters must have inbuilt aperture control as theses lenses stay fully open independently what aperture has been chosen on lens. I doubt that any M42 adapter is able to do that.
To modify the lens for manual aperture mode would be an option (similar to the aperture pin issue with certain auto M42 lenses without manual mode switch) but i fear that would be much more difficult.
That may also be a reason why there are not so many AX-mount adapters available as it's much more difficult to built them with this additional auto/manual aperture control switch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

+

?

Thanks, but I think the Fujica-F adapter you are suggesting comes with an optical element in it, so that is not going to be an option.

Oops! That did seem too easy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
wolan wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

+

?

Oops! That did seem too easy.

Usually it s very easy to remove such element...question is: would one still get infinity without it? Probably not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. The Nikon F register distance is 3mm longer compared to Fujica AX. Minolta SR (MC/MD) shares the same 43.5 mm register distance like Fujica AX. Maybe a Minolta adapter can be modified with a Fujica Bayonet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest would be to get the earlier m42 Fujinon lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

or use a Sony A7 Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

or use a Sony A7 Wink

You fellows are joking, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been less than 6 months since the launch of Nikon Z cameras. Naturally, it takes some time for the 3rd parties to design and produce all the adapters. There is also a factor of the current demand which is IMO not that great for the Nikon Z body & Fujica X combo.

You can ask/request an ebay seller to design one but ultimately you gotta wait for one to be available.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with adapting old Fujica-X lens on Nikon Z Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi
I am trying to adapt this lens: http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_4306.html on a modern Nikon Z camera.
I do not think there will be an adapter Fujica-X -> Nikon Z any soon on the market, but I could use a combination of adapters. However also in this case I do not see much choice.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

There may soon be an adapter for Sony E-Mount to Nikon Z, so a combination of this and a Fujica X to Sony E-Mount one may work. The adapter will be a smart one with electrical connections that you don't need so may be expensive, but presumably cheaper "dumb" ones will follow.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-techart-electronic-adapter-allows-e-mount-lenses-to-be-used-on-nikon-z-cameras-with-autofocus/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not have to wait that long...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujica-X-Old-Fuji-AX-mount-lens-to-Nikon-Z-Mirrorless-Full-Frame-Z6-Z7-Adapter/143098592569?hash=item2151573d39:g:ut0AAOSw~2VcRXmO:rk:18:pf:0

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it would be long till missing adapter options would show up when they have adapters for for that lens to other cameras.