Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help what is this lens? STEINHEIL 35mm 1:2.8 MC M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Help what is this lens? STEINHEIL 35mm 1:2.8 MC M42 Reply with quote

Hello,
Just won a STEINHEIL 35mm 1:2.8 MC M42 mount lens, but after google it, seems like the google picture does not match the sellers picture. Have anyone used this lens? Is this a rare one? I like the looking of green "mc" on the front Very Happy

The following is the picture from the seller:

Thanks,
Wei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A third-party sourced lens from Japan: long after the closure of Steinheil the British ownership of the Steinheil name was kept by Mayfair, the distributor, so they were free to source lenses from whoever they liked and mark them with the Steinheil name.

It is perhaps not a well-known fact that, the right to use even internationally well-known names are often owned by their local importers. For instance, less than twenty years ago, a firm in Australia wanted to import one particular Fiat model which was not imported by the established Fiat importer, but as they could not use the Fiat name they had to get the factory to replace all Fiat badges with one bearing another name.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
A third-party sourced lens from Japan: long after the closure of Steinheil the British ownership of the Steinheil name was kept by Mayfair, the distributor, so they were free to source lenses from whoever they liked and mark them with the Steinheil name.

It is perhaps not a well-known fact that, the right to use even internationally well-known names are often owned by their local importers. For instance, less than twenty years ago, a firm in Australia wanted to import one particular Fiat model which was not imported by the established Fiat importer, but as they could not use the Fiat name they had to get the factory to replace all Fiat badges with one bearing another name.

Thanks for the explanation, that explains why my copy is so cheap. But anyway it does not hurt to give this one a try. Seems like these brand names of the old lenses are really confusing people sometime especially no internet was available at that time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a late 1970s or 1980s lens which says "Made in Japan" then it's not likely to have been made in Munich Wink

However, it still does not mean the lens is bound to be less satisfactory in performance, as here we have discovered many hidden gems, and also neglected lens makers of limited renown, but of great competence.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this old thread, how did the lens turn out? I'm guessing it's one of the usually mediocre 2.8/35s like the Optomax I wasted money on, but I'm wondering if it turned out to be a hidden gem. I've seen a similar one with Minolta mount which might be interesting.