Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help to Identify CZJ instrument.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Help to Identify CZJ instrument. Reply with quote

I was perusing my favorite science site, ars technica, and they were requesting help identifying some museum items in the US National Institute of standards and Technology (NIST) . One is a boxed set containing a boxeed optical instrument labelled as Carl Zeiss Jena. Thought some of my friends on here could help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to Identify CZJ instrument. Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I was perusing my favorite science site, ars technica, and they were requesting help identifying some museum items in the US National Institute of standards and Technology (NIST) . One is a boxed set containing a boxeed optical instrument labelled as Carl Zeiss Jena. Thought some of my friends on here could help.

Oh THAT instrument, of course!!! Twisted Evil

Link / picture(s) would help... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do (I'm on a tablet and cut/paste is difficult ) but ars has a really good site. Google ars. Click "science" on the directory bar. Likely now will be 2nd or third aticle.. it's about NIST.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/06/a-pigeon-piloted-bomb-odd-powders-and-cryptic-science-ars-goes-to-nist/

It's about halfway thru the photo lineup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

caption: "An unknown optical instrument and wood case manufactured by the firm Carl Zeiss of Jena, Germany. The instrument is black and circular and rests on a tripod. There are optics included in the case. "

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes apparently the Zeiss gadget is apparently a Pulfrich Interference Stage, for measuring the refractive index of a liquid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how ars responds, please? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1