Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help! Sickly Prominent Nokton 50mm f1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Help! Sickly Prominent Nokton 50mm f1.5 Reply with quote

Hi! This is my first post. I just ordered a Nokton (from prominent) 50mm 1.5 lens and it's in quite a bad way, but I'm not sure what (if anything much I could do for it). I'd really like to fix it the best I can before I buy an expensive adapter, and although there are aspects that I won't be able to fix I'm sure, I'd like to try to rescue it as much as possible. I have taken some photos of the damage. The aperture blades are just fine, but there's appears to be major loss of coating to the inner elements. The only front glass damage are lots of light scratches. As you can see from the photos of the front, it looks almost like the glass has been chipped around the outside, but it's actually inside I think. The black specks are also inside. Can anyone tell me if that loss of coatings and is it something that can be improved by sending to an expert repairer? The coating seems to be dodgy at the rear end too, as you can see there is a strange eroded look around the edges. I'd really appreciate your advice, or even just some clues about what has happened? It was well looked after and someone glued at filter adapter on it 😡

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Sickly Prominent Nokton 50mm f1.5 Reply with quote

VictoriaMac wrote:
Hi! This is my first post. I just ordered a Nokton (from prominent) 50mm 1.5 lens and it's in quite a bad way, but I'm not sure what (if anything much I could do for it). I'd really like to fix it the best I can before I buy an expensive adapter, and although there are aspects that I won't be able to fix I'm sure, I'd like to try to rescue it as much as possible. I have taken some photos of the damage. The aperture blades are just fine, but there's appears to be major loss of coating to the inner elements. The only front glass damage are lots of light scratches. As you can see from the photos of the front, it looks almost like the glass has been chipped around the outside, but it's actually inside I think. The black specks are also inside. Can anyone tell me if that loss of coatings and is it something that can be improved by sending to an expert repairer? The coating seems to be dodgy at the rear end too, as you can see there is a strange eroded look around the edges. I'd really appreciate your advice, or even just some clues about what has happened? It was well looked after and someone glued at filter adapter on it 😡

Thanks in advance

Someone already tried to fix it. It suffered from fungus infection and element separation. Ask for refund or return if possible unless it is really cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's disappointing 😭😭😭

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try the oiling method for the separation. Some people say it works well,mans I've nothing to lose as I didn't pay much for the lens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome VictoriaMac

You know you can hold lens in front of camera as adapter would to look at results -- or look for less expensive adapter -- not sure why any adapter should be so expensive, but I don't know your camera or lens mount, if either of those are exotic, adapters, if possible, can get expensive.

50mm are typical easy to disassemble & clean. I would go for cleaning the glass surfaces & try the lens first...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome VictoriaMac

You know you can hold lens in front of camera as adapter would to look at results -- or look for less expensive adapter -- not sure why any adapter should be so expensive, but I don't know your camera or lens mount, if either of those are exotic, adapters, if possible, can get expensive.

50mm are typical easy to disassemble & clean. I would go for cleaning the glass surfaces & try the lens first...

Thanks very much for your advice. I have the original voigtlander prominent body that came with the lens but I'm not sure how to use it, but it can't be that complicated, so I was thinking to go into town today to buy a film and try taking some photos then getting them developed. Holding the lens to my camera (Olympus em10) doesn't work. I have ordered one of those front lens opening tools so I can access the front lens to attempt recementing the separated elements. The rear elements are also separated but I don't think I can remove them from the housing. *sigh*
Yeah it's silly that mount adapters are so expensive but I don't think there is much of a market for converting such rare RF mount lenses.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This service in Taiwan does a re-cementing, re coating and scratch removing service. Useful also for fungus.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/291268434885?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would use this service or leave the lens alone.