Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help scanning medium format photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Help scanning medium format photos Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've just been given a Yashica D by my friend, and some Kodac Portra 400NC film. Before I buy a scanner, I just want to understand how exactly it will work - from when I take the picture to when I scan it. I'm a bit confused. Can anyone walk me through what I'll need besides the scanner/camera/film (if anything), and what I'll need to do? I've never used film before :$ Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epson V500 flatbed scanner, it has a medium film format adapter.
Simple need to put film into adapter and put onto glass of scanner. After all scanner program do the rest.

This is the results.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/Voigtlander/BessaRF/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/yashica_mat_124g/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sir! So I just have the film processed and then I scan the negatives?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Epson 3170, which can usually be bought for pretty cheap on eBay scans at up to 3200 dpi optical, and comes with film holders for both 35mm and medium format. I've been well pleased with mine.

Best,

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetwaves wrote:
Thanks sir! So I just have the film processed and then I scan the negatives?

That's it. Details are...

Keep your fingerprints off the negs, it's a bugger to clean them.

Put them upside down on the carrier, usually. Some strange hieroglyphic device on the neg carrier will remind you of this Smile

You might find that the focus of the scan will improve if you pack the corners of the carrier by the thickness of a postcard, or less. Some scanners can be slightly out of focus and it's a worthwhile thing to find out about.

You'll initially want to scan at huge resolutions to see what it can do. You'll find out it's unnecessary and something like 2400dpi (or less) is adequate for most purposes.

You might find the supplied software suits you fine, but you might want to try Vuescan or Silverfast - but get in some time with the supplied freeware first.

What I've found so far, is that a flatbed scanner can produce perfectly acceptable results, but you have to be prepared to fiddle around a bit to find the best output technique for your device.