Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help please I'm looking for a sharp cheapo lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the Zuiko's generally do NOT dissapoint. Some are very cheap, depending on the speed of course. But lenses like the 28/2.8 are excellent, especially stopped down a little.

JJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all your suggests, if I found something you listed I'll come back to ask you if the price is right

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of all the sharp lenses I have found that are very cheap (or were when I bought them) off the top of my head, sharp, excellent 28mm and 50mm lenses are easy to find, 35s a bit harder as quite a lot of them are crap, longer than 50 is tricky, 135s are common and most are good, but longer than that and most cheap lenses are crap with a lot of CA so better to go for ones from respected makers like Canon, Nikon, Fujinon etc.

Clubman 2.8/24 - just got it but seems as good as the Ensinor 28mm (this lens is often senn badged ENsinor)
Hoya HMC 2.8/28 - excellent, I use this all the time on my EOS as my walking around lens, it's in Yashica/Contax fit but I use an AF confirm adapter
Ensinor 2.8/28 - I have two copies of this, similar to Hoya above
Pentacon 2.8/28 - PB mount, adapter needs shaving to get infinity on EOS, lens is sharp even wide open and has a wonderful vintage look, one of my faves
Petri CC Auto 2.8/35 - had to covert it to fit EOS but it is very easy to do, superb lens
Helios 44-2 - nothing needs to be said, just a lovely lens
Helios 44M-4 - same as above but better coatings, I use this one quite often
Petri CC Auto 1.8/55 - probably sharpest lens I own and excellent bokeh, perhaps my fave lens
Pentacon 1.8/50 - excellent, needs a hood, one of my faves
Carenar 2.8/125 - made in Korea, seen in many brands, I had one badged Mirage that was identical

Most of those I paid 99p for on ebay because no-one else bid so most of the cost was shipping. Probably some more I forgot, but those are the best of what I have, the ones that stick in the memory and get used often, the lesser lenses tend to fade from memory as they sit at the back of the drawers unused.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
I've found that the Zuiko's generally do NOT dissapoint. Some are very cheap, depending on the speed of course. But lenses like the 28/2.8 are excellent, especially stopped down a little.

JJ

I agree - get a Zuiko 50mm F1.8, they sell for around $20 and are very sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the 1.8/50 Zuiko is very sharp, I have one I got with an OM-10 for nothing.

I have samples from the lens, still can't upload pics tho...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP owns a 5D mkii and wants a cheap lens. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
The OP owns a 5D mkii and wants a cheap lens. I don't get it.

Maybe because I own Canon L lenses for work and I want to have some fun with manual lens that doesn't cost much?
If I want a lens that's sharp and cost much I will look for a ts-e 24 II or a 50 f/2 makro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:
axer wrote:
Nikkor 50mm 1:2 is considered as one of the sharpest 50mm lenses. I own one and I am really happy with the results. It is also quite cheap.

Zuiko 28/3.5 is in my opinion as sharp as Nikkor 28/3.5 AI. It is smaller and lighter, though.

You mean this one?
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_50mm_f2_742114.html

I have it and I find it not so sharp

Sorry for the off-topic (the original poster specifically excluded 50 mm lenses), but here's what Mike Johnston wrote (in his essay The Empirical Photographer) about the Nikkor 50/2.0 lens:

Getting lost in the haze of the passing years is a truth that only grizzled old Nikon vets remember any more: that this was one of the sharpest and best lenses in Nikon's history, a paragon in every way. It's a tough little billet of metal with a reassuring solidity; its recessed front element is well protected even without a lens shade, and you can take comfort in knowing the lens will take some hard knocks and continue to serve faithfully. It's razor sharp like the new lens, sometimes seeming to exaggerate edge effects to the point of unnaturalness; it's very contrasty at wider apertures, with that almost 3D look so many photographers crave; yet it's not harsh tonally as the newer lenses (take the same picture with the old and the new lens side-by-side and you'll see what I mean by this). As a bonus, its closeup performance is particularly good -- slap it on a bellows, and voil, it's a macro lens.

Let me just add that this lens has a drawback: it suffers from very pronounced distortion. As long as you don't shoot architecture or don't use it for repro, it's a great lens though.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
quicksilver86 wrote:
axer wrote:
Nikkor 50mm 1:2 is considered as one of the sharpest 50mm lenses. I own one and I am really happy with the results. It is also quite cheap.

Zuiko 28/3.5 is in my opinion as sharp as Nikkor 28/3.5 AI. It is smaller and lighter, though.

You mean this one?

Sorry for the off-topic (the original poster specifically excluded 50 mm lenses), but here's what Mike Johnston wrote (in his essay The Empirical Photographer) about the Nikkor 50/2.0 lens:

Getting lost in the haze of the passing years is a truth that only grizzled old Nikon vets remember any more: that this was one of the sharpest and best lenses in Nikon's history, a paragon in every way. It's a tough little
billet of metal with a reassuring solidity; its recessed front element is well protected even without a lens shade, and you can take comfort in knowing the lens will take some hard knocks and continue to serve faithfully. It's razor sharp like the new lens, sometimes seeming to exaggerate edge effects to the point of unnaturalness; it's very contrasty at wider apertures, with that almost 3D look so many photographers crave; yet it's not harsh tonally as the newer lenses (take the same picture with the old and the new lens side-by-side and you'll see what I mean by this). As a bonus, its closeup performance is particularly good -- slap it on a bellows, and voil, it's a macro lens.

Let me just add that this lens has a drawback: it suffers from very pronounced distortion. As long as you don't shoot architecture or don't use it for repro, it's a great lens though.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Maybe he was talking about films and not digital. Laughing

Have you ever tried this lens? I own one and tried 2 and it's the worst Nikkor I have after the 28mm f/3.5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:

Have you ever tried this lens? I own one and tried 2 and it's the worst Nikkor I have after the 28mm f/3.5

I have tried this lens (this is not my habit to talk about lenses I have never tried), on film as well as on digital and it's really a very good lens. In fact, I have kept one copy of the lens in its HC version (multicoated), as I think it's one of the best "normal" lenses around.

By the way, I am not the only one to think so:

It delivers sharp and contrasty images already at wide apertures. Even at f/2, there is just a trace of flare and corner softness, and beyond f/2.8 it renders excellent image quality.
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_norm.html

From f/2.8 to f/11 this lens shows remarkable performance
http://www.momentcorp.com/review/nikkor50mmf2.html

This is an extremely high performance, fast lens at a bargain price used.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f2.htm

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00COgo

And so on...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
quicksilver86 wrote:
axer wrote:

You mean this one?

Getting lost in the haze of the passing years is a truth that only grizzled old Nikon vets remember any more: that this was one of the sharpest and best lenses in Nikon's history, a paragon in every way. It's a tough little billet of metal with a reassuring solidity; its recessed front element is well protected even without a lens shade, and you can take comfort in knowing the lens will take some hard knocks and continue to serve faithfully. It's razor sharp like the new lens, sometimes seeming to exaggerate edge effects to the point of unnaturalness; it's very contrasty at wider apertures, with that almost 3D look so many photographers crave; yet it's not harsh tonally as the newer lenses (take the same picture with the old and the new lens side-by-side and you'll see what I mean by this). As a bonus, its closeup performance is particularly good -- slap it on a bellows, and voil, it's a macro lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Cannot more than agree, very sharp lens and good performer at a real bargain price (with the exclusions Sebastien already made!)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help please I'm looking for a sharp cheapo lens Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:
Hi to all.
I was planning to buy some couple of manual focus lens in the range of 28mm to 90mm excluding 50mm and I was wondering if there is a lens with moderate luminosity (f/2 of f/2.5 at least) that's as sharp as possible.
I would like to mount it on Canon but I don't have so much budget right now.
Anything to suggest?
Thank you Smile

Since you said to exclude 50mm FL (I do love the F2-K and 1.4 AIS)...

....my recommendation for longer is the 85/1.8 Nikkor...my preference is for the "K" version as it has the NIC multi-coating and the modern AIS construction (though not an AI-mount unless modified)...the earlier "H.C" version also has the NIC coating...the NIC coating seems to give a 1/3 brighter image vs the earlier "H" single coating version...optically though, all 3 are stellar...
The H can be gotten for well under $200, while the K is closer to $300...There is an 85/F2 AIS that is quite good and more compact/lighter...it is about the same price as the "H"...The "1.8-K" has a more worthy reputation, hence the higher price...though that may be since it was only made for a couple of years...

Know this...AIS focusing barrels have a shorter focusing rotation from MFD to infinity...some people (me) like that as the Point of Focus pops in and out more apparently (esp. with using alternative manual focusing screens)...others who shoot video like the longer rotation and more gradual focusing for tracking focus in video...

As for wider FL...I found my Nikkors 35/2 and 24/2.8 (both the 1st versions) to be far less satisfactory....the Canon 18-55-IS is superior...still, many people really like the later AIS versions of these lenses...I have no experience with these later versions...

There is also the Vivitar-by-Kiron 28/F2 (ser.#22....) lens that while not as good as the 18-55IS, it is 2 F-stops faster and that's where I use it in low light situations...(it's also stuck there at F2, but that's never been an issue Very Happy )...it can be had for under $50

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help please I'm looking for a sharp cheapo lens Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:

Since you said to exclude 50mm FL (I do love the F2-K and 1.4 AIS)...

....my recommendation for longer is the 85/1.8 Nikkor...my preference is for the "K" version as it has the NIC multi-coating and the modern AIS construction (though not an AI-mount unless modified)...the earlier "H.C" version also has the NIC coating...the NIC coating seems to give a 1/3 brighter image vs the earlier "H" single coating version...optically though, all 3 are stellar...
The H can be gotten for well under $200, while the K is closer to $300...There is an 85/F2 AIS that is quite good and more compact/lighter...it is about the same price as the "H"...The "1.8-K" has a more worthy reputation, hence the higher price...though that may be since it was only made for a couple of years...

Know this...AIS focusing barrels have a shorter focusing rotation from MFD to infinity...some people (me) like that as the Point of Focus pops in and out more apparently (esp. with using alternative manual focusing screens)...others who shoot video like the longer rotation and more gradual focusing for tracking focus in video...

As for wider FL...I found my Nikkors 35/2 and 24/2.8 (both the 1st versions) to be far less satisfactory....the Canon 18-55-IS is superior...still, many people really like the later AIS versions of these lenses...I have no experience with these later versions...

There is also the Vivitar-by-Kiron 28/F2 (ser.#22....) lens that while not as good as the 18-55IS, it is 2 F-stops faster and that's where I use it in low light situations...(it's also stuck there at F2, but that's never been an issue Very Happy )...it can be had for under $50

Thank you for your suggestion, I will be looking for some of the 85mm from nikkor you described

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
quicksilver86 wrote:

I have tried this lens (this is not my habit to talk about lenses I have never tried), on film as well as on digital and it's really a very good lens. In fact, I have kept one copy of the lens in its HC version (multicoated), as I think it's one of the best "normal" lenses around.

By the way, I am not the only one to think so:

It delivers sharp and contrasty images already at wide apertures. Even at f/2, there is just a trace of flare and corner softness, and beyond f/2.8 it renders excellent image quality.
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_norm.html

From f/2.8 to f/11 this lens shows remarkable performance
http://www.momentcorp.com/review/nikkor50mmf2.html

This is an extremely high performance, fast lens at a bargain price used.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f2.htm

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00COgo

And so on...

Cheers!

Abbazz

I'm really sorry but I have to disagree... maybe you and them just have lower standard than me.
I have also others 50mm and the nippon kogaku f/2 is not special at all.
The canon 50 1.8 is still better than that

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if your standards are too high to consider the Nikkor 2/50 a good lens then you simply aren't going to find any cheap lenses that you would think sharp.

Sounds like only the expensive stuff is going to meet your expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well, if your standards are too high to consider the Nikkor 2/50 a good lens then you simply aren't going to find any cheap lenses that you would think sharp.

Bad news... Embarassed
I didn't think about that... but really there is nothing comparable in quality as a modest canon 50 1.8 for low price?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Bad news... Embarassed
I didn't think about that... but really there is nothing comparable in quality as a modest canon 50 1.8 for low price?

I don't want to sound mean, but virtually any old MF 50-55mm will provide better IQ and build quality than the Canon 50mm f/1.8.

Anyway, I suggest you look for Zuiko lenses.
Not the cheapest but with excellent price/performance ratio.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsmlogger wrote:
quicksilver86 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Bad news... Embarassed

I don't want to sound mean, but virtually any old MF 50-55mm will provide better IQ and build quality than the Canon 50mm f/1.8.

Anyway, I suggest you look for Zuiko lenses.
Not the cheapest but with excellent price/performance ratio.

The nikon 50 f/2 won't Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very impressed with the RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 lens that I picked up for $11 (including a Hoya UV filter).

I wasn't normally a wide angle shooter, but since I got this lens I've found myself reaching for it quite a bit. It is sharp with beautiful, natural colour and also close focuses.

A couple of samples (some post processing done). I always find a bit of a loss of warmth/saturation when uploaded through flickr, but you'll get the general idea.

And you said no 50s, but the Helios 44-2 is a 58mm f/2, so it's practically a 60. Wink Bought mine for $20 with an old Zenit attached to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice portrait!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***I don't want to sound mean, but virtually any old MF 50-55mm will provide better IQ and build quality than the Canon 50mm f/1.8.***

Methinks you jest. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***I don't want to sound mean, but virtually any old MF 50-55mm will provide better IQ and build quality than the Canon 50mm f/1.8.***

Methinks you jest. Wink

I never had the chance to try out any of the "present day" nifty fifties but I am sure they will perform very well being primes. Not every MF 50-55 will outperform it IQ wise that is.