Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help, no flash trigger using hot shoe on NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Help, no flash trigger using hot shoe on NEX Reply with quote

Ok , so I got a hot shoe adapter for my NEX 5, but it won't trigger the flash. What am i doing wrong???

ebay item number: 360549431087

Is there a setting I must use? (regards trigger voltage - I have a safesync)

(sorry about image quality, just snapped it with my p&s)

oh, I am attempting macro and need my ringflash, hence the setup. The flash triggers well, the safesync triggers off camera and on my Nikon, so the fault seems to lie between the camera and the safesync i.e the adapter, faulty or setting?

Last edited by philslizzy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can suggest is to check the menu settings. Is it set to 'flash off'? It may need to be set to 'fill-flash' so that it fires every time you trip the shutter.

MENU - [Camera] - [Flash Mode] - desired mode.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
The only thing I can suggest is to check the menu settings. Is it set to 'flash off'? It may need to be set to 'fill-flash' so that it fires every time you trip the shutter.

MENU - [Camera] - [Flash Mode] - desired mode.

The flash settings are disabled when it is attached, however I'll attach the Sony flash and change some settings

Thanks

edit: Set flash settings as you said. No joy. No alternative settings either. Perhaps it is the adapter.

Anyone else used one of these?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thinking of getting one of those shoe adapter but have not. Can you try connecting with another flash with the shoe adapter and see if it can be triggered?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
I am also thinking of getting one of those shoe adapter but have not. Can you try connecting with another flash with the shoe adapter and see if it can be triggered?

I'll try in the morning. I've sent a message to the seller (ebay) informing them of my problem. I hope they can sort it out. check this post later...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a problem with something similar - adding an ISO hotshoe mount adapter to my Sony DSLR. I did few things and if I remember correctly, the thing that finally solve it was (i) connect flash to ISO hotshoe mount (not to camera) and trigger the flash (test button). (ii) Make sure camera is OFF and connect the hotshoe mount (and the flash) to the camera. (iii) Turn On the camera. For some reason when I connected the hotshoe mount to the camera first while camera was OFF and then put the flash on top of the ISO adapter, it didn't work. Couldn't figure out the logic of that. Perhaps you could give it a try if the seller did not reply a solution.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:

my_photography wrote:
I once had a problem with something similar - adding an ISO hotshoe mount adapter to my Sony DSLR. I did few things and if I remember correctly, the thing that finally solve it was (i) connect flash to ISO hotshoe mount (not to camera) and trigger the flash (test button). (ii) Make sure camera is OFF and connect the hotshoe mount (and the flash) to the camera. (iii) Turn On the camera. For some reason when I connected the hotshoe mount to the camera first while camera was OFF and then put the flash on top of the ISO adapter, it didn't work. Couldn't figure out the logic of that. Perhaps you could give it a try if the seller did not reply a solution.

Tried both no luck, the NEX works a little different to the DSLR but I attached the flash to the adapter, switched it off and discharged it. Ensured cam was off, attached adapter then switched everything on - nada.

EDIT: Just opened it up, 1 dry solder joint, 1 loose wire, no electrical connection between camera contacts and sync wires.

In a word RUBBISH.

The seller has been back to me and asks precisely what is the fault. I told him this in the first email. Why do they always ask you what you've already told them? I cant tell him exactly what's up with it as i've been inside so my warranty would be void. But i DO know it needs replacing.

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can ask the seller to test a unit and send you one that is working as replacement. I once had a bad experience when I bought few lens adapters and it will not focus infinity. Seller insists that was something wrong with my lens and I told him I have many lens and none will focus infinity with his adapters. So he tested and turned out that batch he gotten will not go to infinity.

Also, can copy and paste your problem in the email you sent them earlier. Could be the email reach someone first and is forwarded to another person without the original mail. Hope you get the issue resolve.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Perhaps you can ask the seller to test a unit and send you one that is working as replacement. I once had a bad experience when I bought few lens adapters and it will not focus infinity. Seller insists that was something wrong with my lens and I told him I have many lens and none will focus infinity with his adapters. So he tested and turned out that batch he gotten will not go to infinity.

Also, can copy and paste your problem in the email you sent them earlier. Could be the email reach someone first and is forwarded to another person without the original mail. Hope you get the issue resolve.

I buy my adapters from big_is on ebay. Top quality and no doubt.

Thanks for the advice, and being helpful I appreciate it. I haven't heard anything yet but it's weekend in China as it is here. Fingers crossed.
Phil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thay've already sent a replacement. Just waiting. Its gonna be too late to cos I wanted it for a particular assignment in March. I'll have to use a Nikon.

Bugger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally looking at these adapters, but their reliability issues made me change my mind and go with NEX-6. Too many complaints... I hope the new adapter will work of You.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the adapter a few days ago and it fires the flash no problem. BUT it doesn't screw on tightly enough! Its ok for what I want.

The old broken one can be used to mount a home made accessory on to the camera

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind posting the version you are using currently? I read somewhere there are few versions, but I am not sure.