Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help needed, colour film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Help needed, colour film Reply with quote

Which colour film negative do you suggest and why? Question

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

street and cityscape mainly

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Kodak Gold 200 and Fuji Superior 200 for those type of shots and both produced results I was pleased with, both for colour rendition and low grain. For the price they are highly acceptable.

I don't know if Agfa Vista+ 200 is available where you are but I believe it to be the best cheap film available (made by Fuji).

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just like cameras you can get fan boys for film Wink and you would probably have to go through them all to find out what you personally like.

If you want good results at a cheap price it has to be Agfa Vista + if you can get it for £1. For me I use Agfa for general shots, Superia 200 for more special all rounder shots and Reala for extra special (can't get it in 35mm anymore) all rounder shots, and I have nothing against Kodak Gold 200.
For newer film there is Kodak Portra and Ektar....haven't tried them yet as my freezer is full Cool and then you can go onto slide films for more fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezer? I thought the fridge was enogh, is it better a below zero temperature? Question

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Freezer? I thought the fridge was enogh, is it better a below zero temperature? Question

Well I've put film in the freezer for so long I've forgotten the answer Laughing but logically anything stored frozen e.g. a corpse (plenty of chemicals there) last longer when the temperature is lower.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's right, I can put them next to the 2 human livers stored for the next winter Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Rick1779 wrote:

Well I've put film in the freezer for so long I've forgotten the answer Laughing but logically anything stored frozen e.g. a corpse (plenty of chemicals there) last longer when the temperature is lower.
Very Happy yeap Very Happy

Seriously even on datasheets from Fuji you could find information that storing for longer time should be done in freezers (but one need to remember to let the film warm-up for 3-6 hours prior putting it into the camera ;D ).

As for film I would recomend Fuji Superia X-Tra 400 - http://forum.mflenses.com/fuji-superia-x-tra-400-om10-garden-fair-in-szczecin-t66396.html
All was shoot on ISO200 setting on the camera, so in the city shooting you could use it in bright sunlight when setting it at ISO200 and still get ISO400 if you move into the shadows Wink.
Honestly, I couldn't find a difference between frames shoot with setting at ISO200 and at ISO400 and the negative was developed as a standard ISO400 film.

Agfa Vista Plus 200 is great film as well, very contrasty and could be aquired cheaply. http://forum.mflenses.com/agfa-vista-plus-200-om10-old-town-hall-szczecin-t66222.html

I'm without a question Fuji guy Smile, while my father always have shoot on Kodak Gold. Well, from what I saw Kodak Gold is less contrasty, less saturated and bit yellowish (goldish) while Fuji films have vivid colours, great contrast and are easier to buy with longer expiry dates (in Poland at least). However I like Kodak Gold as well, just not that much as Fuji's Superia and C200. The film I don't like is Kodak Color Plus - washed out colours and well... nothing special at all while being priced as Fuji C200 which is a great film.
It would be important as well which brand Mr. Scanning-Guy, you give film to, likes the best Smile, as some guys say that Fuji is easier to scan, other that Kodak.

I would try both (actually several) of the Kodaks, Fujis, Agfas and have fun choosing which suits you best Smile.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've found a couple of Portra 160VC expired in 2014 for 2€ each Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried Portra yet, but it suppose to be in different league than Superia or Gold and is very famous, so very nice find Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the potra 160 and 400 are the VSCO Lightroom presets that I use quite always, so if they've done a good job probably I'll like the film too

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same here Rick Very Happy. Call me a lazy, but I really like VSCO Lightroom presets (especially Pack #1).

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
The same here Rick Very Happy. Call me a lazy, but I really like VSCO Lightroom presets (especially Pack #1).

#1 and some #2 for me too Wink