Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

help me choose Minolta MD 135 F2.8 or 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What lens to Buy
Minolta 135 F2.8
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Minolta 135 F3.5
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: help me choose Minolta MD 135 F2.8 or 3.5 Reply with quote

Ok i have decided to compliment my first SLR that i bought almost 25 years ago with the glass that it deserves as at the time i had a very poor sigma zoom lens, so now i can afford some better glass, and i now have following
Minolta MD 35mm F2.8
Minolta PG 50mm F1.4
I will add the 28mm F2.8 if i can get it cheap.
But i am looking to add a nice portrait lens in the 135 Range I will only be going with Minolta, so no other suggestions.
What lens is better then the
MD 135 F3.5 or the 135 F2.8
If you have samples i would appreciate.
I will be buying one of these two

They will mostly be for my film setup

Also is it worth me upgrading my x-300 to the x-700?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more than one Minolta 135/2.8 ^^
I only had one of them on NEX-C3, I think latest MD version. Very good in center wide open, not worse than 3-4times more expensive Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135/2.8 C/Y or Leica Elmarit-R 135/2.8. Only corners were inferior (vignetting etc.) if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the md tele rokkor 135mm f2.8 with 55mm filter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both, and the pair are in great condition. But, I have never shot them back to back. I use the 2.8 more, and it is a glorious lens. It does what you ask of it.
The 3.5? it's slower, smaller and lighter, but still a very good lens. I got the 3.5 in a kit of Minolta stuff, and I wasn't at all dissapointed with it, but when I saw the 2.8 at a reasonable price at the camera fair I bought it, I think I paid about £40 for it.

I like them both, some days when I go for a walk and I can't be bothered to carry a bag I'll drop the 3.5 in a jacket pocket, but I'm rarely far away from my 2.8.

I should do a shootout.... here's one from the 2.8
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have an X-700 for sale soon...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both very nice lenses. But in my taste, the 2,8 win.

Now i have only the 2,8 - 4/4 version. The rest, sold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent got the 2.8 I have others which I use, but the f3.5 is a cracking lens. Mine is the old second generation MC version. It gives the 135 f3.5 Nikkor Q a run for its money, and the Jupiter 11 and 37a. So I'm happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f/3.5 comes in a few different versions as well. I've got 3 i guess... i don't use 135mm lenses a lot, planning on doing so since i bought the MD f/2.8.

Upgrading to an X-700 is a good thing! It has more features! Look for an X-500/570 as well, some say it's even better, it was marketed later than the 700 and has some improvements. Read this for more information: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/X-570.htm

You'll find some information on the 135 lenses on that website too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I havent got the 2.8 I have others which I use, but the f3.5 is a cracking lens. Mine is the old second generation MC version. It gives the 135 f3.5 Nikkor Q a run for its money, and the Jupiter 11 and 37a. So I'm happy.

Is it the QD Version?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More detailed info on Minolta manual lenses: http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Is it the QD Version?

Yes this is mine - a fine lens!

Sorry, crap AF to blame for focus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use an X-700 and I also have the X-300. The X-700 has some nice features, a lot more than you`d actually need. I do not use the P mode, I almost always stay at A. As far as functionality goes, the X-300 is less, but less might be better in this case. I can`t say that X-700 is better built or that it`s VF is brighter. They are primarily the same, but the 700 has more features to it. If you can get it for cheap - yes, why not, however if your thinking about paying 50$ for a nice one off ebay, I`d pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have 3 minolta MF film bodies and 135mm F3.5 lens, as for a body really not an issue any is good, I do not use any extra futures to be honest. All you have to do is to set it up in A mode and set f stop and focus. i cannot tal about 2.8 version as I do not have one but 3.5 is great, sharp and very light and small, I absolutely love it. Example below:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Head to head comparison of Minolta MD 135mm f/2.8 vs. MD 135mm f/3.5 - sharpness on infinity distance only test, but it looks enough to see the winner
Hope it can help to make a choice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8 (5/5) looks quite better... and I can testify it is very compact. Lots of people think the old 4/4 version is better though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comparison. I confirms my experience as well. The f/3.5 is a tiny little bit worse, but then again also the difference in weight and size is also noticable. Personally I take the f/3.5 out more often because a 135 is usually not the main lens but just on of the extras in my bag, and in this case the f/3.5 is good enough while not being too big and heavy. Every gram counts. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Hey,

Head to head comparison of Minolta MD 135mm f/2.8 vs. MD 135mm f/3.5 - sharpness on infinity distance only test, but it looks enough to see the winner
Hope it can help to make a choice

I'm a bit surprised that your 3.5/135mm is not perfectly sharp wide open, in the very center of the image. Either something with the lens is not entirely OK, or focusing was slightly off.

In my personal experience the MD-II 3.5/135mm (which should have the same formula as your MD-III, but one never really knows ...) is one of the best Minolta 135mm lenses.

I'll run a quick small test tomorrow as well, albeit with MD-II 3.5/135mm vs MD-III 2.8/135mm!

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that your 3.5/135mm is not perfectly sharp wide open, in the very center of the image. Either something with the lens is not entirely OK, or focusing was slightly off.

In my personal experience the MD-II 3.5/135mm (which should have the same formula as your MD-III, but one never really knows ...) is one of the best Minolta 135mm lenses.

I'll run a quick small test tomorrow as well, albeit with MD-II 3.5/135mm vs MD-III 2.8/135mm!

It isn't missed focus - this my copy always demonstrations the slight soft if wide opened. Lens has never been disassembled and it has no any signs of damage. And for me - this result is OK in anyway, I don't expect better quality from this lens. But if your copy has a really different IQ - it would be interesting. I'll be waiting for the result from your one

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:

It isn't missed focus - this my copy always demonstrations the slight soft if wide opened. Lens has never been disassembled and it has no any signs of damage. And for me - this result is OK in anyway, I don't expect better quality from this lens. But if your copy has a really different IQ - it would be interesting. I'll be waiting for the result from your one

Thank you for this information - i'll have time today to check my MD-II 3.5/135mm [5/5].
Compared to other companies (e. g. Tokina) Minolta seems to have had a quite good quality control system. Among about 300 Minolta MF lenses i have seen only a 4.5/70-200mm, a MC-II 2.8/135mm and a MD-I 4/200mm with problems. Among these, the 4/200mm had a damaged front ring which would explain the problems, and the 2.8/135mm was very unsharp even at f11 - i don't think this lens came out the factory like this, but probably was altered later (e. g. last lens flipped over / built in in "reversed mode" after a repair attempt).

BTW how do you know that a lens has never been disassemled?? Unless you yourself bought it firsthand back in th 1980s there's no way to decide whether a lens was disassembled or not, is there? Or am i wrong?

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevemark"]
tf wrote:
BTW how do you know that a lens has never been disassemled?? Unless you yourself bought it firsthand back in th 1980s there's no way to decide whether a lens was disassembled or not, is there? Or am i wrong?

I can't be sure for 100%, but condition of screws and splines gives me reason to believe that they have never been rotated after the lens was assembled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf
At the end of the day, given Stephan has excellent an 135 mm 3.5, either something went wrong with your test or your lens is a "bad apple" (damaged or always bad).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
tf
At the end of the day, given Stephan has excellent an 135 mm 3.5, either something went wrong with your test or your lens is a "bad apple" (damaged or always bad).

That's possible of course
But I'm filling that my copy hasn't difference in behavior from other lenses of such type - you know, after testing of number of lens even small deviations became seen for you, and you at least start to be alert. For example - if speed of increasing sharpness from wide opened to next closed step is abnormal, too big difference between center and corners etc. Anyway - I'm waiting results from stevemark (with respect), and if result really different with my, then I promise to get another one MDIII for reproducing the test.
But one more thing - this tested 135/3.5 works as a really nice lens, and just little bit not so good as 3/4-stop faster MD135/2.8 - what's wrong? It's normal behavior for tons of lenses, and only here we got doubts? Actually, who's believe that 135/3.5 is better wide opened than 135/2.8 closed for one stop? Not I'm at least - I mean MDIII vs MDIII comparisons of course. So, let's wait Smile