Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

help me buy a 6x7 camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: help me buy a 6x7 camera Reply with quote

ive decided to use the load of 120 ive had in my fridge for awhile and have settled firmly on the 6x7 format. i absolutely do not want a folder or a scale focus model, but would like the most compact camera and would love some recomendations. i plan to use it mainly for portraits and mainly for 5x7 or 8x10 prints. here are my criteria:

must be 6x7
must use standard 120 film
cannot be a 'folder'
cannot be only scale focusable
can be fixed or interchangeable lens
can be metered or unmetered
50mm FL (in 35mm terms) is the widest i want to go; id prefer something more 'portrait' length
would like as 'compact' as possible
cannot be more expensive than about $1000 usd, and hopefully less!

right now im leaning to the fujica gm670, but thats real big...so id love to hear your ideas, thanks!
tony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that takes Graflok backs then you can use Mamiya RB67/RZ67 backs which are 6x7 and come in several flavours - 120, 220, 70mm, even Polaroid. Having interchangeable backs is a very useful thing as you can carry more tan one loaded with different film types and switch from shooting BW to colour transparency to colour print just by changing the back.

Cameras that take those backs include Graflex XL, various flavours of Linhof Press, Koni Omega, Mamiya Press, Polaroid 600SE, plus a few others from companies like Horseman.

They are all pretty big and heavy though, most are 6x9 cameras that can take 6x7, 6x8 and 6x9 backs as well as use cut sheet holders. Linhof and Horseman make 6x9 backs and there are several US made 6x8 and 6x9 backs from companies like Graflex and Singer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax 6x7 MLU or Pentax 67.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at the pentax 67s. does anyone know how they compare size wise to the fuji rangefinders?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know from experience, the folding press camera is large and heavy... but the Graflex SLR is large and light. Though somewhat limited and a pain (Why didn't anyone think of making a preset lens for these?) one isn't as heavy as most others.
The GM670 is large, but I don't think it's larger than the Pentax, though I haven't compared them directly. I have one with the standard lens and (unfortunately in this context) a wide angle, and it is a solid camera, rugged, and not too onerous to carry around.

Here's mine compared to a F100 with battery grip

Nikon F100 / 24-120 - Fujica GM670 Professional / 65/8 by Nesster, on Flickr

Fujica GM670 - Nikon F100 - Iittala lintu by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably buy a Mamiya 7 with one lens for around a thousand bucks, right? I absolutely love that camera.
Otherwise I'd go the Pentax 67 route. Beautiful lenses that are great for portraiture (if that's what you're in to). Too bad they focus the 'wrong' way around Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give a try to Koni-Omegas.
In your price range you could probably get the camera with 2 film backs and its 3 main lenses and still have some money left. Till a couple of years ago I had 2 Koni-Omegas with the 3 lenses and was quite satisfied with them.
They are very solid rangefinder cameras, the lenses are very good (still have 2 of them adapted to my Linhof) and the unique film advance system makes them very quick in use - you feel like loading a gun Smile .
Quite adequate for the portrait photography.
That's why in the '70 they were very much preferred by the wedding photographers.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Cameras that take those backs include Graflex XL, various flavours of Linhof Press, Koni Omega, Mamiya Press, Polaroid 600SE, plus a few others from companies like Horseman.

Cheers Ian!
No Linhof 6x9 camera accepts Graflok backs and the Linhof 6x9, 6x7, 6x6 film backs (for 6x9 cameras) can't be used on any other camera than Linhof.
Koni-Omega backs are also not made in the Graflok standard and you can't use a Graflok film back on a Koni-Omega.

Last edited by dan_ on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, thanks for the correction. I just quoted something I read on the internet.

Mamiya backs fit my century Graphic nicely though and Mamiya backs are so common and cheap, I just wish I hadn't broken the handle off my 70mm back because that is the only one that is a bit expensive.