Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help identifying lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Help identifying lens Reply with quote

I bought this lens on theBay cheap. I wasn't sure what it was when I bought it and I'm still not sure. I don't see any manufacturer name on it anywhere. One interesting "feature" is that the aperture clicks don't line up with the marked f-stops. The aperture seems to fully open and close so no big deal, just strange.

Anyone know who made this lens?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens as Telisar 13.5cm f4.5. Some sad the name belongs to Rodenstock but I don't think Rodenstock made it.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the mount? C-Mount? If the aperture iris closes completely, this is a good indication the lens was intended for movie camera use -- so the cinematographer can do "fade to blacks."

Maybe the aperture clicks correspond to T-stop values? Just guessing.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
What is the mount? C-Mount? If the aperture iris closes completely, this is a good indication the lens was intended for movie camera use -- so the cinematographer can do "fade to blacks."

Maybe the aperture clicks correspond to T-stop values? Just guessing.

I'm sorry, I forgot to state the mount type in my OP. It's an M42 mount.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Steinheil ? Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Label ring reminds me of Enna but overall i'd say Schacht of Ulm. Some similarities also with Roeschlein Kreuznach.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schacht looks similar, but not 100%:

btw: can anyone tell me the mount of my Schahct Travenon 135mm?

thanks for replies

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
btw: can anyone tell me the mount of my Schahct Travenon 135mm?

Most likely in Exakta mount
http://www.rockycameras.com/exakta-fit-schacht-135mm-45-prime-portrait-lens-1499-261-p.asp

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Enna. see this photo:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more research and found an auction listing for a lens that's an exact match. The listing has it as a "Telisar Rodenstock" but the seller admits that that's a guess based on research he did since the lens isn't marked with any manufacturer name. Looking at the listing the seller had a picture of the lens unscrewed into 2 parts. So I tried it with my lens and mine also unscrewed. Interesting construction - I'm not sure why they would have done that as it seems like there would be much simpler ways to connect the 2 halves.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be threaded for M42, in which case it could be fitted to a bellows for macro work? You might see if it will screw into an m42 mount.

As for Rodenstock, I doubt it. For some reason people on the internet love to attribute lenses to Rodenstock, just look at all the Edixagon nonsense. More than likely it was made by some small manufacturer. There's a 35mm Telisar that looks very much like a Staeble product, but I don't think I've ever seen a Staeble 135 that looks like this lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka< have you tried it yet? is it any good? can we see samples?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It may be threaded for M42, in which case it could be fitted to a bellows for macro work? You might see if it will screw into an m42 mount.

As for Rodenstock, I doubt it. For some reason people on the internet love to attribute lenses to Rodenstock, just look at all the Edixagon nonsense. More than likely it was made by some small manufacturer. There's a 35mm Telisar that looks very much like a Staeble product, but I don't think I've ever seen a Staeble 135 that looks like this lens.

I tried the small half's mount and it's not M42, it's smaller than that.

Since it hasn't been positively identified yet I've taken to calling it my mystery lens. Smile

I took some test shots with the lens. They were definitely lacking in contrast and saturation which I tried correcting in PP, but other than that they seem decent enough. Nothing to write home about but not bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definite "vintage character" to them. I likey.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a couple of similar lenses (Steinheil Culminar) with removable lens heads threaded for M40, with a fine pitch, which was the thread used on the standard Exakta macro gear - the thread that connected the Exakta mount end to the rings, and the rings to each other. Exakta was the standard macro/bellows camera of the day. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, having a removable lens head was pretty common and useful if you were making lenses for different mounts, especially for both SLR and rangefinder, as the lens barrel/focus mechanism had to be quite different. These "mystery" lenses - I call them Telisars, as thats the only actual brand I have seen them in - were made in both SLR and RF mount, I had one in LTM.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Schacht Travegar 100 / 3.3 is a two part lens, all the glass and aperture in the front part, the rear is just a focusing tube. The joining thread is 39x1 mm.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for 70% Schacht and 30% Steinheil Wink

http://manuellfokus.no/a-schacht-munchen-travegon-135cm-f4-5/

http://manuellfokus.no/steinheil-munchen-culminar-vl-135cm-f4-5/

Both the rendering and the style reminds me a lot of the mentioned Schacht 13.5cm f/4.5, So I would say Schacht Travegon