Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help ID this EARLY BIOTAR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Help ID this EARLY BIOTAR Reply with quote

Hello, I don't post here very often, but I am stuck in the mud and hope maybe somebody can help me out with this. I was killing some time today at a thrift store while my daughter was in a class, and I saw a lens labeled "brass lens" for $40. I asked to see it and I saw it I was a little shocked and confused because I've never seen this particular lens. It is a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 5cm f1.4. So I bought it and cannot figure out EXACTLY what it is, or what its worth (I also grabbed a working and almost mint Pentax Digital Spotmeter for an extra $20). Nothing concrete on google other than it came off the line in 1928 and its a double gauss and could possibly be an early Cinema lens. I'd like to sell it, but I need to find a value for it. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!!
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help ID this EARLY BIOTAR Reply with quote

Ccoppola82 wrote:
Hello, I don't post here very often, but I am stuck in the mud and hope maybe somebody can help me out with this. I was killing some time today at a thrift store while my daughter was in a class, and I saw a lens labeled "brass lens" for $40. I asked to see it and I saw it I was a little shocked and confused because I've never seen this particular lens. It is a Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 5cm f1.4. So I bought it and cannot figure out EXACTLY what it is, or what its worth (I also grabbed a working and almost mint Pentax Digital Spotmeter for an extra $20). Nothing concrete on google other than it came off the line in 1928 and its a double gauss and could possibly be an early Cinema lens. I'd like to sell it, but I need to find a value for it. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!!
Chris

Hi Chris no images allowed on the first post (spam measure) now you can see them. Welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will be able to help you identify the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in buying it once you peg a value down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

came across this, if it helps you to value it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Biotar-5cm-f1-4-super-rare-lens-block-amazing-collector-dream-/361966746900?hash=item5446e63d14%3Ag%3AObMAAOSw%7Ey9ZBQZ%7E&nma=true&si=QFITXukbZ%252Bj63lh%252FwwAOh%252FQGiJ4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one Attila is selling is a 27 serial - wartime production, which makes it very rare.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/biotar-lens-id.148572/

Good luck in detailed lens identification!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a dumb question, but have you any idea what the mount is? It looks like screw, but what thread: ,25, m39, m42, c- or d-mount?
Good luck,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic find.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find, I wish I could come across lenses like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postwar Biotar 1.4/50 is relatively easy to find in Europe as it was mounted as part of a 3 lens set on the Pentaflex AK16, which was a very popular camera. The other two lenses were a Flektogon 2.8/12.5 and a Biotar 1.4/25.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever that thing is, it does not seem to be a Pentaflex mount.
Or at any rate, not the common postwar Pentaflex 16 mount for those cameras with the Biotars.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/henrykborsuk/media/cGF0aDovcGVudGFmbGV4XzE2bW1fY2FtZXJhX2xlbnNfbW91bnRfenBzMDVhMTQ3YmYuanBn/?ref=

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thiele has this SN as being from a Batch of 245 lenses ordered in 1928 for Kinamo mount. Yours is the Second lens in the batch. Several batches made, looks roughly between 1000 and 1500 lenses total for all mounts.

I have a 4cm F1.4 Biotar in Debrie mount, a little bit older.

Carl zeiss Jena 4cm F1.4 Biotar by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

A gift for working on some lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update....I ordered a 39mm rear cap and it IS in fact a 39mm mount. I think I will order an m39 to Sony and try it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check the back-focus with the 39mm mount. At worst, might need to make an extension for it. Also- it's possible that this lens was modified over the last (almost) 90 years. My 4cm F1.4 Biotar has plenty of relief to use on a mirrorless camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The postwar Biotar 1.4/50 is relatively easy to find in Europe as it was mounted as part of a 3 lens set on the Pentaflex AK16, which was a very popular camera. The other two lenses were a Flektogon 2.8/12.5 and a Biotar 1.4/25.

Indeed, they can be found easily. The 1.4/50 mm covers mFT completely, without any noticeable vignetting. However, my version is not very sharp wide open, rather "dreamy" (to describe this in a positive way...). Apart from the Biotar swirl (which is not extremely prominent), I don't see a lot of reasons that favour the adaption of the 16 mm Pentaflex 1.4/50 mm Biotar over other 1.4/50 mm lenses.