Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help cleaning Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Help cleaning Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 macro Reply with quote

I have just got one of these lenses, it has some fungus spots (the reason it was dirt cheap) but I can't find any information on how to open it correctly.
If anyone knows where to find instructions, please let me know, I'd be very grateful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens, although I've never taken mine apart. But I've dismantled a number of other lenses and I usually follow similar game plans with all of them. But before you get started, can I assume you have the proper tools? You'll need a small cross-point screwdriver (not a Phillips), and a lens spanner, at a minimum.

Where I start depends on where the fungus is. If it's close to the front, then I'll see if there are spanner slots in the front ring(s). If not, then a rubber cup of the right size might be enough to remove the name ring, which should reveal spanner slots. Another approach is to pry the rubber off the focusing collar and remove the screws that hold it in place. By removing the collar, the helical is exposed and the lens can usually be separated into two pieces. Then you might be able to get to the front element from the rear of the front piece. If the fungus is close to the rear, I'll dismantle the mount and then use the spanner to remove the rear group of lenses, and see if that's enough to get to it.

Wish I could be of more help, but that's the best I can do. I find that just about every lens is different from every other, but they do have certain common traits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, those are the standard steps I have usually used on previous lenses. In this case, the fungus is on the front and middle elements. I can remove the front ring via 3 tiny screws but the next collar has one screw which doesn't allow me to remove the collar fully.
I have a lens spanner but I don't see any slots at the front of this lens. I have a new set of screwdrivers in the post/mail, I won't attempt another break-in until they arrive.

I've googled this to death without any joy, I can't believe there isn't some detailed info somewhere, but the trick is finding it. I'll pop off the focus rubber once my screwdrivers arrive and see how far I can get Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to dismantle the entire lens, starting from the lens barrel. i have seen this is the best way with tamron zooms, since the innermost elements cannot be taken out otherwise.

It will probably divide itself in some segments.

takes time but effective

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I managed to take some parts of this lens apart but the one thing that seems to be stopping me getting any further is the front of the lens. The built-in hood can't be removed either, it is kept from coming away by the front filter part as well (as far as I can tell).

There are no slots for the lens spanner, I don't have anything else to help grip the front filter part in order to unscrew it (I assume that's how it works). Is there an actual tool designed for this task?

Here's a phone photo showing the lack of slots, wisps of fungus are visible too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's like the Kiron 105, the front element ring (not the name ring for this particular lens ) is locked by 3 small screws visible when you fully extend the hood. That's for Kiron and could be the same for Vivitar. You could take a look at the the photos ( sorry for the quality) at the end of this post:

http://forum.mflenses.com/lester-a-dine-kiron-105mm-macro-lens-front-element-removal-t74743.html

I hope it helps ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucca1x wrote:
If it's like the Kiron 105, the front element ring (not the name ring for this particular lens ) is locked by 3 small screws visible when you fully extend the hood. That's for Kiron and could be the same for Vivitar. You could take a look at the the photos ( sorry for the quality) at the end of this post:

http://forum.mflenses.com/lester-a-dine-kiron-105mm-macro-lens-front-element-removal-t74743.html

I hope it helps ...

My lens looks very similar to this Kino version, I think that link could be very helpful, thanks for that Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the above link I was able to open the front of the lens, only to find the front group of elements as one solid block. The fungus is inside that and I don't know how/if I can open it. I was able to reach inside the lens to the middle element, it had some haze there but I quick wipe got rid of it Like 1 small

I think I'll settle for where I am with this lens, the haze has gone and the fungus doesn't affect the image quality. I think I got a bargain at 70 quid.