Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help a newbi develop film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Help a newbi develop film Reply with quote

I have been thinking...

I now very little about developing film (eventhough it was a part of my education as a teenager and my father had own darkroom when I was a kid). I have totally ignored the possibility of doing something with film myself since I have no chance of a darkroom.

But I should be able to develop the film myself and scan negativs (and order papercopies of the ones I want).
- Where would I start, what equipment would I need to buy?
- Is black and white easier then colour?
- How about slides?
- Do I need different things for 35mm and 120mm-film?

If someone would explain like to a child I will be pleased Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, have a look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum:
http://forum.mflenses.com/bandw-developing-essential-answers-t3238.html
and don't be worried about asking any questions! Smile

This explains the process for B&W film and I'd suggest you get some experience with this before you move on to colour. You can get kits of chemicals for both C41 (colour neg) and E6 (slides) processes from the same supplier as the B&W chemicals in the above link. The process is not a lot more complicated but there's an extra stage. Also the temperatures and timing are more critical and the temperatures are higher so they're more difficult to retain. I haven't tried colour myself yet, mainly because it's so cheap, quick and easy to get them done by the local 1 hour lab.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing film is childs play.
I recommend you get a large 'Changing bag' then you don't even need a light proof cupboard or room and can always work in comfort.
Waste a roll of film and practice loading.
C41 (colour neg) is as easy as BW. People worry about the +or - 1/2 a degree temp thing but that is only for the developer which is about 3 minutes. Everything is just bought to the correct temp in a water bath and thats it, no problem.

Worth doing if you have never tried before. You may love it.
I'm afraid I have done my time there and have given it up for good

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Also, I actually found a swedish guidebook from a shop (www.photax.se) that still going for filmcameras Smile

Have to wait a bit and get more money befora I buy anything I think Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
Nice!

Also, I actually found a swedish guidebook from a shop (www.photax.se) that still going for filmcameras Smile

Have to wait a bit and get more money befora I buy anything I think Wink

A whole outfit should cost you less than £10-15.
Best place in the UK to get such stuff is a Car Boot sale. You would have to look in the stall holders boxes of oddments or ask. It is doubtful they would display it.
Even your chemicals for BW will cost very little. C41 is also cheap, E6 kits a bit more.