Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-81N 50mm f/2 full frame pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Helios-81N 50mm f/2 full frame pics Reply with quote

Some wide open samples, no PP, only resized to 1024 pix. Nikon D700 body. First pic ISO 400, others ISO 200.

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6. 100 % crop. Cannot see much CA.

This lens is sharp at wide open, but there´s some nice softness, even glow (see #4). I like the colour rendering. Unfortunately the bokeh is little nervous.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice cat shots, lens is sharp indeed.

Interesting lens, quite unlike the Helios 44 in rendering, I have a Zenitar M2S 2/50 which has a similar rendering to this, that is a very sharp lens too, one of the sharpest 50s I've tried, but also has slightly nervous bokeh, probably close in optical formula.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

The lens design is six elements in four groups, Planar type.

I have also a Nikkor 50mm f/2, which is a similar design. I have to compare them one day. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Russkies copied the Nikkor Wink

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye out for one of these, I collect Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic looking lens, very nice indeed and a great photographer to show the quality

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word ! WOW!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first shot of your kitty was quite heartwarming, I agree with Attila, double WOW!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb samples with very nice colors! My fav is the #2, just lovely shot Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second shot of the flowers is a winner for me, it shows every plus point of the lens. I like that a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really very nice photographs, thank you for sharing. What fitting is this Helios lens? I have read some articles, which claim that adapters do not work well on Nikon bodies.

Edit: Since this post I have read a few articles re: this lens and it would appear that the "N" does mean Nikon fit, silly me. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!

killwilly wrote:
What fitting is this Helios lens? I have read some articles, which claim that adapters do not work well on Nikon bodies.

This is Nikon mount (used in Kiev 17,19,19m and 20 SLR cameras). And yes, there are some problems. I had to glue with epoxy a small bit of plastic on the back edge of the aperture rim, to make a better contact between the lens and body.

In Helios-81, there is no raised ridge on the aperture ring, like there is on my Arsat N 50mm f/1.4 lens (lower pic). Kaleinar-5N and Mir-24N lenses had also this raised ridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens looks really good Smile #2 and #3 are nice Smile
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Very nice cat shots, lens is sharp indeed.

Interesting lens, quite unlike the Helios 44 in rendering, I have a Zenitar M2S 2/50 which has a similar rendering to this, that is a very sharp lens too, one of the sharpest 50s I've tried, but also has slightly nervous bokeh, probably close in optical formula.

+1, I think you are right
I also had MC Zenitar M2S 2/50 and rendering, colors and bokeh were looking also pretty similar to me.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure on the bokeh either as I hardly used the Zenitar on digital, I like it a lot for film shooting though. Another Russian lens I am really attached to. I'm starting to think I should try to grab some of these Nikon mount Russkies too, I saw some results from the Mir-24N the other day that were top level too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some M2S shots with bokeh for comparision. I also used it mainly on analog
All are wide open; first on film, rest on NEX-3 (APS-C 1,5x)

On APX100 B/W film developed in Coffee. Bokeh can be swirling.

After viewing some of my old testshots I would say they might be even optically identical.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series Markku, especially for the cat .. simply lovely

a friend of mine asked if for nikon crop camera such as D50, can it be directly put into the camera without any adapter attached?
how about helios 81 2/53 for kiev camera? can it suit too with nikon mount?

Thanks
Ari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arstone wrote:
nice series Markku, especially for the cat .. simply lovely

a friend of mine asked if for nikon crop camera such as D50, can it be directly put into the camera without any adapter attached?
how about helios 81 2/53 for kiev camera? can it suit too with nikon mount?

Thank You, Ari.

Helios 81 lenses meant for Kiev 17,19,19m and 20 SLR cameras should be usable with Nikon D50 without any adapters. There are Helios lenses for Kiev 10 and 15 Automat cameras, these lenses are without aperture rings, and are not usable with normal DSLRs.