Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M-6 Aperture Issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M-6 Aperture Issue Reply with quote

I hate to ask this, and I'm sure it will end up being a dumb question but I've searched and found people with questions about the aperture on the Helios 44m-"x" variants but never this exact problem. When I attach my 44m-6 to any M42 adapter, the pin is pressed down and the aperture closes slightly even while wide open at f2. Remove the adapter and the aperture opens to what would be true f2.

Any idea what's going on? Is this normal? I've tried this with several adapters and it does the same thing. All I can think of is maybe the pin in the rear is too long? I understand this lens has the odd jump between apertures but mine seems to stop down completely at f5.6....or at least what is marked as f5.6 on the aperture ring. There are several turns at the end where there's no movement on the aperture at all.

#1 - No Adapter

#2 - K&F M42 to FX adapter used below (Also have Fotasy M42 adapter and a no-name brand M42 adapter that came with another lens)

Last edited by bobo777 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44M-6 Aperture Issue Reply with quote

bobo777 wrote:
I hate to ask this, and I'm sure it will end up being a dumb question but I've searched and found people with questions about the aperture on the Helios 44m-"x" variants but never this exact problem. When I attach my 44m-6 to any M42 adapter, the pin is pressed down and the aperture closes slightly even while wide open at f2. Remove the adapter and the aperture opens to what would be true f2.

Any idea what's going on? Is this normal? I've tried this with several adapters and it does the same thing. All I can think of is maybe the pin in the rear is too long? I understand this lens has the odd jump between apertures but mine seems to stop down completely at f5.6....or at least what is marked as f5.6 on the aperture ring. There are several turns at the end where there's no movement on the aperture at all.

And apparently I can't upload any pics of the issue for some reason. Not sure what's going on.

Hi, you can't post images on the first post. It will work now.

The Helios should not behave like that, haven't encountered it myself but I have a Helios 44m and a 44m-4 with no issues.
A question. When the lens is not mounted, does the aperture move when the aperture ring is turned?

Last edited by blotafton on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help if you mention which adaptor(s) you're using and to fit which camera. Someone may have had similar symptoms with a different lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44M-6 Aperture Issue Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

The Helios should not behave like that, haven't encountered it myself but I have a Helios 44m and a 44m-4 with no issues.
A question. When the lens is not mounted, does the aperture move when the aperture ring is turned?

Ahh thank you.

When not mounted, the aperture does not move when turning the aperture ring.

kypfer wrote:
It might help if you mention which adaptor(s) you're using and to fit which camera. Someone may have had similar symptoms with a different lens.

K&F M42 to NEX(A7II), Fotasy M42 to FX(X-T2), Fotasy M42 to NX(NX500), etc. Happens on all of them unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44M-6 Aperture Issue Reply with quote

bobo777 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Ahh thank you.

When not mounted, the aperture does not move when turning the aperture ring.

kypfer wrote:

K&F M42 to NEX(A7II), Fotasy M42 to FX(X-T2), Fotasy M42 to NX(NX500), etc. Happens on all of them unfortunately.

It's probably an issue with the lens, that's my guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome bobo777

Maybe something bent in aperture linkage has shortened range of operation, thus wide open is slightly closed and stopped down closes completely too early...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44M-6 Aperture Issue Reply with quote

[quote="bobo777"]
blotafton wrote:

kypfer wrote:

Sorry, red herring, me not thinking properly Sad

With the aperture ring set wide open no amount of pin depression should cause the aperture to close down at all.

The lens has got to be faulty, I'd suspect badly reassembled at some point but possibly poorly manufactured.

I'd suggest trying for a refund if at all possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I't possible that the lens was serviced and not reassembled correctly, if I had to guess, it sounds like the aperture was not "clocked" correctly, I've not opened a 44M or later lens so I can't really be of much help with fixing yours, I do know that some lenses permit you to shift/rotate the stationary half of the aperture basket.
You can see the 3 screws used to secure the stationary half in this video of a 44M-4 @ 2:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y6vfg1m5lQ

So what you need to do is loosen these screws and rotate the basket so you get full range of blade movement. Before going this far, make sure the linkage is all working correctly and doesn't look bent.

Other vids on the 44M-6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqDQ0rwq1Ko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36dCqGi9K3c