Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44m-4 stiff focus ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Helios 44m-4 stiff focus ring Reply with quote

Hey!
I've started using an Helios 44-4 and the focus ring is very stiff...
I'm wondering if it's fixable without disassembling the lens?
If not, can someone give me a tutorial on how to disassemble the lens and reassemble it?

Michael Smile

p.s. sorry if my English is bad Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Michael!

No bad English here, most member is not native English speaker in our community.

You can take a try to make it more smooth with a little injected petrol or gas. For successful disassembly and assembly need some special tool like spanner wrench etc. Don't need to look specific instruction just seek in Google or here on forum any lens disassembly instruction , basic are common and this lens has very simple construction.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stiff focusing rings i usually use WD-40 filled in 1ml insuline siringe. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamelessly stolen from another web site -

Helios 44-2 Stiff focusing.

I bought a Helios 44-2 which was apparently in great condition except that the ring was very stiff. i could not focus quickly and often my focusinf force caused the lens to unscrew from the mount. The seller told me to warm it and work it, yadda yadda, which seemed to temporarily help, but was not a suitable solution.

I unscrewed three screws holding the focus ring grip after noting the exact position of the screws relative to the M42 base. the grip comes off easily and exposes the helical focus screw. i applied a small bit of lighter fluid and used a swab to remove the aged gunk until it was shiny silver again. then applied some white lithium grease to the threads and reassembled.

this took 30min and the lens is good as new. it focuses quickly and very easily. it is silky smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it, I knew I had these bookmarked somewhere. Rolling Eyes

http://psychoticstudios.net/blog/archives/140

http://psychoticstudios.net/blog/archives/118

There's a French site with great pictures on it but it just automatically downloads the PDF and I can't get the URL Confused

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios is easy to take apart and lubricate. Use a silicone based grease.

Or you could try lubricating without taking it apart. WD40 or a mixture of lighter fluid and oil have worked well on a number of lenses.