Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-44M-4 and FA chip-Talk about bright days!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Helios-44M-4 and FA chip-Talk about bright days! Reply with quote

Today it is so bright that I could operate my focus-assist chipped M42 adaptor with my Helios-44M-4 stopped down to f/11 !!!!

Never managed to go past f/8 with FA control before.
It even hurst to raise the gaze to the sky so much bright it is.

By the way, I have noticed that my Helios-44-2 gives the best resolution when stopped down to f/11. So far I have always shooted with it at f/8 or f/5.6 because these are the average best values for most lenses.
But comparing f/8 with f/11 I noticed a significant improvement.
The curious thing is that the slowest on this lens is f/16, so in theory with f/11 we should already be near or over the diffraction tolerance limit (and therefore have a quality decrease). But perhaps the fact that the optical scheme of the lens is very old explains why it performs best at these much stopped down values.
Anyway if you have an Helios-44 I suggest you to try it at f/11 - you may be amazed! Mine gives a quasi-Leica clarity at f/11 - plus, the usual Helios color and contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you not focus open then close down the aperture? I am jealous of your day light, can I have some up here the UK is drenched in cloud Crying or Very sad
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/webcam/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
can you not focus open then close down the aperture?

Yes of course I can, but it's much faster to keep it stopped down! (when it's possible)

hacksawbob wrote:

I am jealous of your day light, can I have some up here the UK is drenched in cloud Crying or Very sad
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/webcam/index.html

Consider this: I have an absolutely, totally gorgeous daylight outside, the things look crisp and detailed in the distance, the sky is bluer than blue, some puffy white clouds, and the afternoon light is casting a slightly golden shiny light on the world.... AND I AM FORCED TO STAY INSIDE MY OFFICE AND WORK.

Now who has to be sadder? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:

Yes, this is what often so, in order to "control" my confirm-adapter visually.
It works with most lenses. Only some have a lens ring which is not really smooth to operate Wink. Then is might be a problem.

Carsten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a pentax DSLR and MF lenses with K bayonet the diafragma close just before the shot Light mesuring is done bij pressing a litle switch. With M42 the focus aid works also but here you have to mesure with closed diafragma.

Guido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the advantage of non-changed bayonets.

And the K10D is superb, you can use the old K-lenses and the brand new ultrasonic Pentax lenses. Such a great cam!

If I had started now (and not 2 1/2 years ago) to shoot with a DSLR, I would have gone for the K10D.

Carsten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking on changing to the K10D (have the Ist Ds now) mainly for the antishake. But is hoot often out a hide and my problem is that my subject is moving, there no antishake van help.

Guido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:

This is why the Jupiter-37A and the Mir -1B (just 2 examples) are so easy and fun to use. Using the camera's M or Tv modes, you set the shutter speed, focus wide open and then turn the aperture ring until the pointer is in the middle, just like the old match-needle cameras. I love it!

Quote:
I am jealous of your day light, can I have some up here the UK is drenched in cloud

It's back to grey winter days this week right enough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, Peter!

Preset lenses are not bad, once you got used to them.