Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-44 hacked ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 hacked ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've found this on a "Best portrait lens for Canon" thread somewhere :

Quote:
«One of the most sought after Portrait Lenses for any camera that has an adapter that allows it to be used is the Russian made Jupiter-9 85mm f/1.5. It is a phenomenal cult classics lens!

Also, another is the Helios-44m 58mm f/2 that has been modified (forget the original gentleman's name who started doing them waaayy back) but he reversed one of the inner elements in this lens and it produced the most beautiful portraits I have ever seen!!

They blow anything Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina has ever produced!! The only lens that comes close is the 85mm f/1.4 Zeiss and the Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 lens.»

Does anyone already hear or done that on the famous & cheap Helios-44 ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is must be blind, Helios-44 and Jupiter-9 are good lenses but never blow Nikon ... best ones, this is simple stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, he was not making a general statement. What he meant was that this custom modification he made, beats the soft focus lenses made by Nikon Canon etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that he refers to the Helios-44 with the changed internal element.
This probably will cause a soft effect that costs a lot of money when you buy it in 135mm lenses by Canon and Nikon.

If somebody likes a softened portrait, he will be amazed by what this "hacked" lens can produce.

I've tried that with my PK-mount Hanimex C-Macro 4.5/80-200 and the effect is amazing. The lens only produces a sharp area right in the centre of the frame, but I do not need this lens as a "normal" lens, so I left it this way. And now I have a very special portrait lens.

EDIT: Orio, we again had the same thought at the same time. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Flor27: Can you remember where you've found that? I would like to know which element this guy changed...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
@Flor27: Can you remember where you've found that? I would like to know which element this guy changed...

The guy has said no more than the part I've quoted, that's why ask it here Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can reverse the rear element in the Orestor 135 to get a soft focus (Or OOF to me...) look - I found this out the hard way after dismantling one of mine to fix a loose internal element and give it a clean.

After I got it reassembled, I checked the focus at infinity to find it wouldn't. After much head scratching as I hadn't disturbed the focus helix, I looked at the rear element and thought, have I refitted this the right way round?

After removing it and flipping it over, infinity focus was magically restored.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got any pictures from that Hanimex you can share, LucisP? I'd love to see (before I start taking a lens apart)....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Attila, he was not making a general statement. What he meant was that this custom modification he made, beats the soft focus lenses made by Nikon Canon etc.

Ahh ,ok, thanks!That is fairly easy remember for my fujinon soft Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Have you got any pictures from that Hanimex you can share, LucisP? I'd love to see (before I start taking a lens apart)....

Not at hand, but I can show you a test pic. Give a minute...

Here you are. These pics are far from good, but they should be OK to show the effect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this hack with the 44-2 I reversed the rear element, has little efect, second element, reduces focusing down to about 30cm otherwise little effect, third element focusing becomes impossible. I also tried reversing the first and second elements together and has the same results as just focusing the second (30cm focus)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lucis!