Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Helios 44-2 pics Reply with quote

I really like the contrasty attributes of this lens. Got it for $45 delivered
from Russia:

The lens was like new condition:

[/img][/img]

Last edited by Katastrofo on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This copy is really close for it's ancestor lens "Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 55mm f2".Russians doesn't changed much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the flute pic, Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This copy is really close for it's ancestor lens "Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 55mm f2".Russians doesn't changed much.

Perfect photocopier.. but good for us...
(We used to use this term for Indian fake market)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, guys! Smile

Orio, I think this is going to be one of my favorites! Cool

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice one(s)!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you made great choice there Bill. I'm in love with my 44-2, it's older than yours, with shiny parts on the focus grip and red and white numbers. Stopped down it's razor sharp, it gives beautifully rich colours and best of all is the preset aperture dial - in Av mode the aperture ring becomes a continuous bokeh control.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
... in Av mode the aperture ring becomes a continuous bokeh control.

Yes, Peter! Very well put! Never thought of it that way, but it is absolutely right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I currently own one of these Helios. I bought it through eBay to an ukranian guy. The lens seems to work quite well, but the apertures are reversed: when I set 16, the diaphragm is fully opened, and when set to 2, fully closed, so I'm aperture-blind with this lens... Perhaps something mounted in a wrong way inside?...

I've been trying to dissasemble it, but I lack of the necessary tools, so I've been able only to take out the front lens and the distance ring (three screws for this one). Without proper tools I don't want to damage the lens (more than already is), so I put everything back again.

Would be nice to know if there is somewhere in the net a breakdown of this lens. (I got one for another of my lenses, the CZJ Sonnar 135 3.5, at http://www.aprd31.dsl.pipex.com/articles/czj135svc/ )

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes

It does seem strange at first but there's nothing wrong with your lens and no need for you to do anything to it. It's called a pre-set lens and that's the way it works. I hope you got it back together again OK Smile

It's used like this: First you pre-set the outermost dial to the aperture setting you want to use set against the red mark right on the front edge of the lens barrel. The setting is your choice, depending on the available light, film speed, shutter speed and the depth-of-field you're looking for. The outer dial does NOT close the diaphragm - that's the function of the second dial. This arrangement allows you to focus at full aperture and then quickly turn the second dial to close the diaphragm to your chosen setting without needing to take the camera from your eye. Once you get used to this it's a great help.

Remember this lens was designed for cameras with no automatic functions. When you use it on a modern AE camera in Av mode, the camera adjusts the shutter speed using its meter reading to suit your aperture setting. This makes it a lot simpler. As I said in another thread yesterday, as the exposure value will be the same wherever the second dial is set, this becomes virtually a continuous bokeh control.

Anyway, I've put a pdf about dismantling and cleaning the Helios 44-2 on my webspace for you to download:

Helios 44-2

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter. Very nice!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the flute photo. My 44-2 is old and pretty loose. Sort of worry if I need a back up Laughing Very sharp and quick to focus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Love the flute photo. My 44-2 is old and pretty loose. Sort of worry if I need a back up Laughing Very sharp and quick to focus.

Thanks, Bob. Your flower pics are one of the great influences to getting
this lens, amazed I didn't get one sooner! I've noticed how easy focus
"locks-in" on this lens. I also like that the fstop ring is at the front of the
lens, rather than close to the body, like my micro-nikkor--much easier
to use!

It took exactly 9 days from auction close for the lens to arrive. The vendor
I got the lens from I think has a bunch of these newer issue Helios. Also
the lens was for $18 plus $12 shipping, so $30 total. I confused this with
something else I bought at that time.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics Bill !

May I share your post to add some more Helios-44-2 pics ?

My lens is dirty old, full of micro-scratches on the front lens, thank's to the first owner from who I'm bought it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Background is too crazy for me not smooth as I expect from this lens and looks soft too. You made great captures , subject is ok , but these pictures not shows Helios-44 power as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful portraits, Flor!
Unfortunately the bokeh of this lens, just like the original Biotar's, are not exactly smooth.
It's the same old story, get a sharp lens (Biotar) you get a harsh bokeh, get a soft lens (Tessar), you get a creamy bokeh... hard to escape this trap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Background is too crazy for me not smooth as I expect from this lens and looks soft too. You made great captures , subject is ok , but these pictures not shows Helios-44 power as well.

Funny, I just commented on this, too. Smile
The Biotar 55's not famous for his bokeh and the Helios-44 is the same type of lens. But it has many other qualities, like contrast, sharpness, saturation.

Unfortunately, the best bokeh often comes from the soft lenses like the Tessars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the background wasn't far for the subject, so it's not so blured.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is Biotar 75mm f1.5 also not a bokeh champion and perhaps only the problem the busy background it will be much nicer if we can see only grass in the background.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It's the same old story, get a sharp lens (Biotar) you get a harsh bokeh, get a soft lens (Tessar), you get a creamy bokeh... hard to escape this trap.

Exactly! And this makes the rare lenses where both quality is present even more precious!

Leica 35mm Summicron (4th generation) & Leica Summilux-M 1.4/75

And according to Mike Johnston (The Online Photographer) those lenses:

- Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S
- Rodenstock Sironar-N
- Bronica Zenzanon S 3.5/150
- Olympus OM Zuiko 2.0/100
- Zeiss Contax Planar 1.4/85
- Zeiss Contax Planar 2.0/100
- Canon EF 1.4/50
- Canon EF 1.8/85
- Nikkor AF 2.8/24
- Leica Summicron-R 90

Wait a minute, you've got some of those gems, haven't you, Orio?

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please start a new thread for "the perfect lens for the perfect bokeh" ? It will help us to find more easily such valuable informations Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:

Exactly! And this makes the rare lenses where both quality is present even more precious!

Leica 35mm Summicron (4th generation) & Leica Summilux-M 1.4/75

And according to Mike Johnston those lenses:

- Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S
- Rodenstock Sironar-N
- Bronica Zenzanon S 3.5/150
- Olympus OM Zuiko 2.0/100
- Zeiss Contax Planar 1.4/85
- Zeiss Contax Planar 2.0/100
- Canon EF 1.4/50
- Canon EF 1.8/85
- Nikkor AF 2.8/24
- Leica Summicron-R 90

Wait a minute, you've got some of those gems, haven't you, Orio?

Yes, I have three of them, the two Planars and the Summicron-R 90.
What to say... the Planar 1.4/85 has proved in comparison to have a slightly smoother bokeh than the Helios-40, which has quite surprised me.
The bokeh of Planar 2/100 seems even a bit better, I still have to get to know the lens well, but the results from the Autumn Dawn series show me a fantastic bokeh.
But probably of all three the lens that best fits the description is the Summicron-R 90. I have only made a couple of portraits with it (unfortunately the images disappeared with the Imageshock site), but I am very impressed by how detailed the subject looks and at the same time how soft the background is.
I would really have to do a portrait comparison session using these lenses. But I have to find a model first, Monica does not like to be photographed. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, it is not a perfect solution, but for testing issues it might be OK. You can get a head of a display manikin and test your portrait lenses.
Of course, a real human would be much nicer, but these dolls can do the trick.

A bit like here:

Although this is only a snapshot...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea !