Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 2/58
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 2/58 Reply with quote

I won this (with zenit) on ebay for ?1 + shipping.

One of the aperture blades is not working Sad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the most commonly found M42 lens on eath and not the least for sure !! Congrats !

I guess you will be abble to fix it as it's a nice hidden gem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:

I guess you will be abble to fix it as it's a nice hidden gem.

I'm not going to try, it's not worth it. Front glass is full of tiny cleaning marks and it seems to be built wrong way, lens is wide open when set to f16 Shocked
But performance is not bad. I will try to find better one on ebay.

Last edited by Riku on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
I'm not going to try, it's not worth it. Front glass is full of tiny cleaning marks and it seems to be built wrong way, lens is wide open when set to f16 Shocked
But performance is not bad.

Mine is not in great shape as front lens is full of cleaning marks too, but it's doesn't affect image quality as far as I can see...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
and it seems to be built wrong way, lens is wide open when set to f16 Shocked

That is the result of what I call "true reverse engineering" Laughing
Sorry for the inconvenient, but as you say, they are so cheap, you can get another one, that's the best thing with these lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:

Is this the preset lens.. I also got the Helios-44 58/2 lens (no M no other numbering)... The preset ring rotates in the reverse direction. You can never tell whats the aperture setting unless you are capturing wide open or the full stopped down. I think its the design of the lens not the reverse engineering.. may be at that time (initial years), those copier never though of capturing in between (aperture settings).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Riku wrote:

Is this the preset lens.. I also got the Helios-44 58/2 lens (no M no other numbering)... The preset ring rotates in the reverse direction. You can never tell whats the aperture setting unless you are capturing wide open or the full stopped down. I think its the design of the lens not the reverse engineering.. may be at that time (initial years), those copier never though of capturing in between (aperture settings).

This is 44-2. And you are right, it was probably designed this way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mir-1 works in exactly the same way (and probably others I haven't had the pleasure of using). Using the first ring you set the f-stop you want and the use the second to actually stop it down. That second ring will always be at the wide open mark (f2 in this case) but will reflect what aperture the first ring was set to. It is supposed to be a quick way to switch to wide open (to focus) and then to stop down (to shoot). It seems a bit counterintuitive at first but I assure you with a little bit of use it becomes quite natural.

I wouldn’t be so hesitant to take it apart either…it is one of those few lenses that actually have some detailed disassembly instructions online. So you wouldn’t have to wing it. And like everyone said, they are cheap!, so if it happens to be unfixable than just get another.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aperture blade next to the one that is not moving seems to have a lot of oil on it. If I ever decide to try to learn how to fix or clean lenses this will be the one to start with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
The aperture blade next to the one that is not moving seems to have a lot of oil on it. If I ever decide to try to learn how to fix or clean lenses this will be the one to start with.

Hello Riku - this is what you need!