Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 focus ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Helios 40 focus ring Reply with quote

A recently purchased Helios 40 turned up today with very stiff focussing. I'm wondering how to get into the lens to relube the focussing helicoil. I'm right for the Lithium grease as I keep a tub on hand for motorbike maintenance (great stuff for wheel bearings).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to refloat this thread, as my helios 40 is quiete stiff too. What would be the procedure like?
Regards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the 40-2.

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=52&st=100

Scroll down the page a little and use Google translate if your Russian is not great. I guess that the 40 must be similar but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the same. I must say, it is scary as hell to just be turning what seems to be two random sections on the lens. Be sure that you have a firm grip on both, because when they do separate it will be quite the 'jolt.' Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to check the viscosity of the grease you are using , as well as its tendency to "vaporize" or else:

1) you still find the focus too heavy and have to regrease
2) you find it too "light" as the helicoid threads are coarser than you think, and the grease is too "thin", introducing more wear.
3) some years on you find much (haze) on your glass you now have to clean off. Left too long, its a major clean up job if even possible.

Before regreasing, make sure you strip off the old grease ... you can use naptha (lighter fluid) for this flush.

You might want to go to microtools to see what they sell for helicoid grease. I have used grease I bought off ebay sometime back which was intended for telescopes and binos.

Now, maybe its just easier to send it to a pro repairer?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the links and advice, as soon as I have some free toime I will start to study the process
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) you still find the focus too heavy and have to regrease
2) you find it too "light" as the helicoid threads are coarser than you think, and the grease is too "thin", introducing more wear.
3) some years on you find much (haze) on your glass you now have to clean off. Left too long, its a major clean up job if even possible.

This is good general advice. The 3rd point, however, does not really apply to the helios 40. The optical block is an entirely different section from the helicoids. But yes, the grease should never separate or vaporize in even extreme conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else tried this?

My 45 yr old helios is quite stiff too

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've serviced two: An original 40 and 40-2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the info from that russian forum?

time to grab some lithium grease from the auto parts store?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Using the info from that russian forum?

In a sense, yes, but I just needed to figure out how to detach the focusing from the optical block. It's sort of counter intuitive for them to just screw apart, but that is exactly how it's constructed.

I bought my helios 40 on ebay as a parts/repair lens. I recognized the lens by its serial number. I found out the man was once a member here (haven't seen him in years) but was more active in the pentaxforums. He described there how he had disassembled the helios, cleaned it up, put all new grease and now it was "as smooth as a takumar." When I got the lens, I had to deal with his 'work'. He did a freakin' awful job cleaning the old grease out and the new lithium based one was globbed on everywhere. The reason it was a parts/repair lens was that he decided to go further and play with the aperture blades. He couldn't get any of them back in. One of the elements had been switched around. The click stop mechanism was well, gone, and I had to fashion a new one...All in all, a nightmare. But well worth it.

So please, if you are to do it, do it right and really do the proper prep work before applying the grease. It's an expensive lens.