Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 Craze
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like this swirly bokeh, this is very disturbing as the main object or people is not the main anymore ! The lens is sharp as hell but is it really worth the price ? I think not...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blast from the past!

Kram wrote:
thePiRate, love your flower images. Crazy kaleidoscope of wonderful color. Wish I could afford that lens!

Kram - my thanks! Fwiw, I found my copy in a buy/sell site. Luckily, I had a friend nearby who picked it up for me. Minty for $300 cad, which wasn't too much less than they can still be had online, actually. The 40-2's smaller brother 44-2 is also capable of swirling bokeh for less. I haven't used the 44 personally, but have seen some shown in this forum.

themoleman342 wrote:
I imagine your boosting the color though, right? Maybe a bit of alteration in l.a.b. mode? Cause I certainly have not gotten color like that, even with relatively saturated slide films. Incredible nonetheless!

Hi Moleman, you are correct (and thanks!). Usually unless I'm reviewing or comparing lens traits, I apply PP. I do use l.a.b as one technique for exposure and saturation modulation. I watch training videos for photoshop, experiment with and cycle various work flows as I haven't any formal training.

Jeff Zen wrote:
Truly great, well meaning post, and absolutely fabulous pics too! But for God's sake, you are only going to further inflate the price of this already overpriced lens. Please forgive me for being a spoilsport.
Now imagine paying 500+ bucks from a Russian seller for this amazing lens, and waiting for it to show up in your humble mailbox. Ha,ha. My experience with Russian sellers has been very mixed. Some wonderful, some not so. You might as well play the lottery brother, you'll have better odds.

hehehe. It's a nice tool, the Helios. I wonder why with all the older Russian lenses still in production that the Helios isn't among them? Also, I think the cat is already out of the bag - http://club.foto.ru/forum/11/261862 (626 pages!)

Heathcliff wrote:
I really don't like this swirly bokeh, this is very disturbing as the main object or people is not the main anymore ! The lens is sharp as hell but is it really worth the price ? I think not...

Ah yes - but what if your subject IS bokeh? Note to Jeff Zen - Showing off the lens may actually send some away from buying one Wink

K.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday i'll find one in my country. All the helios i find in here are 44-2, 44-4, and 44-6.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heathcliff wrote:

I used to dislike the swirlies, but I changed my mind after getting a 44-2. They can be good in some situations.

The 40-2 is far from being the sharpest in this FL. A test on another fourm alongside 4 other lenses saw this one come 4th out of 5. The winner was a modern AF Canon (which sells around the same price). The other cheaper MF primes gave better value for money, but there is something about these Russian lenses. Once you get it, you'll understand why they are popular.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just something about this lens that has some sort of magic it seems Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fallen in love again!!!! what a crazy bokehh!!! distracting, disturbing, amazing, delightfull!!!!
In my wishlist from now, Do m39 copies get infinity focus? 2-3 metres for me is enough
Silver version or black? 40 or 40-2?
what is a reasonable price for this?, the silver and the black one
Regards

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seta666 wrote:
In my wishlist from now, Do m39 copies get infinity focus? 2-3 metres for me is enough

With M39-EOS adapters widely available on eBay for 10-12 bucks, it will reach infinity. This is first-hand experience, only I have an M39 Jupiter-9 (SLR version obviously).

seta666 wrote:
Regards

The black versions (40-2) are better in terms of contrast, colors, and handling of flare; they got better coatings. I paid $300 for mine 3 years ago. In today's craze, they can fetch exorbitant prices even in Russia; still, I wouldn't pay more than $350-375 for an excellent copy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
seta666 wrote:

With M39-EOS adapters widely available on eBay for 10-12 bucks, it will reach infinity. This is first-hand experience, only I have an M39 Jupiter-9 (SLR version obviously).

seta666 wrote:
Regards

The black versions (40-2) are better in terms of contrast, colors, and handling of flare; they got better coatings. I paid $300 for mine 3 years ago. In today's craze, they can fetch exorbitant prices even in Russia; still, I wouldn't pay more than $350-375 for an excellent copy.

I just bought an Helios 40, silver one with case, filters, m39-m42 adapter and M42-EOS af adapter for 240€ incluiding shipping, bought it in spanish forums so hopefully I will have it in couple of days;-)
After seeing what they cost on ebay I think I had a fair price
Regards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contribution. Wink
It's a Helios-40 silver originally in M39 mount and converted to M42 (I bought ir converted).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Olivier. Just like a paint.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Very nice, Olivier. Just like a paint.

Thank you Loke.
It's a very fine lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Ill be joining in the madness soon, I just won a H 40 on ebay

the reason I mention this is:

when I first started researching manual lenses , the photos that made me take the leap were ThePirates flower shots using the helios 40!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this lens the other day, sill dont have a m42 to pk adapter, its in the mail from china or somewhere. ($125 to buy it in sweden... $6 with shipping from china)
I realy like this lens, but its hard to handle it when you press it against your camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite lens!
But the price of this lens on eBay is madly skyrocketing Smile