Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40 and Cyclop 85mm 1.5 ; Nikkor S.C 50mm 1.4 and 1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Helios-40 and Cyclop 85mm 1.5 ; Nikkor S.C 50mm 1.4 and 1.2 Reply with quote

I made a little comparison between my fast lenses < f:2
I forgot to include the Samyang 1.5/85 but it gives a comparison between old MF lenses.

I took pictures of a Tulip from the same point of view, at closest focusing distance with each lens, and each time wide open and then stopped down at f:2 (except for the Cyclop which doesn't have a diaphragm).

Here are the results (click to open in new window with better IQ) :

1- Helios-40 85mm alu preset version M42 ; closest focusing range = 0,70m ; 10 blades
at f1.5

at f2

2- Cyclop 85mm ; closest focusing range = 0,75m ; No diaph
at 1.5

One more at f1.5 for the pleasure

3- Nikkor S.C 50mm ; closest focusing range = 0,60m ; 7 blades
at f1.4

at f2

4- Nikkor S.C 55mm ; closest focusing range = 0,60m ; 7 blades
at f1.2

at f2

Under sunshine there's more or less glow wide open. The better on this point is the Nikkor S/C 50mm 1.4.
Just stop down to f2 and the image improves a lot on this point.

But glows is a bery inetresting feature when you want to do portraits or water paintings like photos.

Last edited by Olivier on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are great just like oil paintings under a true light.
i am wishiiing for this lens for a longs time... but the economical issue seems to halt me every time i think i can make it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which lens in particular Smoli4 ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S.C 50/1.4 is not that expensive, and there are others that can do the job depending on what bodies you shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tulip flower has an aura about it in your Helios and Cyclop images. It's very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Joseph.
I like a lot the word you use.
Aura : that's exactly the good word and express the magic of the Helios-40.
Very Happy